ROLE DESCRIPTION Position Data Protection Officer Department International Law & Policy Reports to Chief Legal & Compliance Officer (CLCO)
About School Group School Group (SG) is a start-up international non-profit developing a cutting-edge global e-learning platform that will allow students around the world to connect for peer-to-peer collaborative learning and skills development - improving the accessibility and quality of education, while transforming lives and impacting future success. We need talented people to help us make our vision a reality. So, if you believe in the power of education, international development and community service - and have the time, skills and know-how to match - we want you as a School Group volunteer.
Role Overview School Group is currently looking for a Data Protection expert. Someone who can join School Group at a time of significant growth, with high levels of change in the data protection space who will ensure that we are compliant with all areas of our business and that data risk is minimized. Using GDPR as a compass guidance, the Data Protection Officer shall work with all teams within School Group to ensure compliance through transparent data protection policies, systems and procedures.
Essential Functions · Master data protection laws and regulations and their applicability to the Group
· Design, set-up, implement, monitor and maintain all personal and company data protection policies, processes, procedures
· Educating the company and employees on important compliance requirements
· Training staff involved in data processing
· Conducting audits to ensure compliance and address potential issues proactively
· Serving as the point of contact between the company and any relevant regulatory authority
· Take ownership, develop and execute any relevant compliance and data protection projects
· Monitoring performance and providing advice on the impact of data protection efforts
· Maintaining comprehensive records of all data processing activities conducted by the company, including the purpose of all processing activities, which must be made public on request
· Ensure IT systems have appropriate safeguards with respect to data protection
· Interfacing with data subjects to inform them about how their data is being used, their rights to have their personal data erased, and what measures the company has put in place to protect their personal information
· Handle queries or complaints on request by the client, the client’s controller, data subjects or on your own initiative
· Draw the client’s attention to any failure to comply with the applicable data protection rules
· Ability to make good judgments regarding data privacy risks and to prioritize resources and activity around managing those risks
· To remain highly professional with the ability to handle confidential information, remain impartial and report all non-compliance
· To work closely with the legal department and all other related departments as well as with the international offices of School Group to ensure a clear policy is put in place to ensure data is within regulations with our websites, data collection etc.
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, this position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you may be required to perform. The omission of specific descriptions of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or can be considered essential to this position.
Key Relationships Add positions consulted for this role, both internal and external. Also include direct reports, if any, and level of supervision.
Qualifications Basic A Bachelor's Degree in Management or Law or any other relevant field · Experience in data protection, legal compliance and IT Security or audit background.
· Sound knowledge data privacy legislation and practices
· Basic IT knowledge and understanding in terms of data storage, retrieval and information security. (The DPO will need to be able to discuss requirements and solutions confidently with IT staff.)
· Knowledge of IT risks or other information security standards
· Solid knowledge of GDPR and federal data protection laws
· Knowledge of data processing operations in the company’s sector is preferable
· Familiarity with computer security systems
· Proven ability to establish and maintain a high degree of confidentiality, respect, trust and credibility at all levels
· Independent and ethical, with the ability to remain impartial and report all non-compliances
· Good personal communication skills capable of dealing with wide range of stakeholders, including senior management
· Expert level knowledge of data protection law and practices
· The ability to work on tight deadlines
Why volunteer with us? We are a community of people from different parts of the world who share a common belief in improving education which will eventually reduce poverty and improve the quality of life and living conditions globally. Volunteering with us will enable you to build your resume and gain invaluable experience in a supportive environment.
· In the USA, School Group is a Certifying Organization, offering the President’s Volunteer Service Award (PVSA) to eligible volunteers.
· School Group will provide a letter of recommendation to all volunteers who are able to showcase outstanding performance for professional references.
Other information This is a volunteer position. There will be no financial compensation. Our organization is 100% volunteer-run. We welcome volunteers located anywhere in the world, as long as they can connect reliably to the internet.
How to apply Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you!
To establish a leading global educational research and development organization with a goal to improve learning, performance, evaluation, and measurement in the educational sector.
School Group is a platform that aims to connect schools from various parts of the world. Our goal is to provide an e-learning community that focuses on a cross cultural peer learning experience. In doing so, we hope to promote collaboration, communication and to bridge the educational gap in a rapidly changing 21st century generation. For more information, please visit our website www.schoolgroup.org.
Education & Literacy
We'll work with your schedule.
This is a Virtual Opportunity, with no fixed address.