60 people are interested
60 people are interested
Support Education for Milwaukee Area Adults!
Literacy Services is looking for community members that care about equitable access to education in the greater Milwaukee area. We are seeking volunteers to work with adults to improve their basic reading, writing and math skills this summer. Come share an hour per week or more with a student and help empower our community through literacy.
Volunteer Position Summary:
Volunteer tutors will work remotely via Zoom, other online platforms, or phone with adult students. Subjects may include English language communication, math, science, reading, and/or writing. Volunteers will provide support for students to improve their skills and reach their educational goals. Training is provided for all new volunteer tutors.
Literacy Services of Wisconsin serves a socially and culturally diverse community. We strive to build a team of volunteers which is similarly rich in diversity.
Estimated Time Commitment:
Minimum of 1 hour per week with 3 month commitment
- High school diploma and some college
- Must be patient, compassionate, supportive, and enthusiastic
- Should be independent, resourceful, and creative
- Should be willing to learn new things alongside their student
- Must have valid email address, regular email access, and be comfortable using technology
- Be reliable and inform Program Staff ahead of any absences
- Motivate students with positive reinforcement, patience, and enthusiasm
- Refer to training materials to hone skills and find information
- Ask questions whenever they arise; program staff are available to assist you
- Utilize resourcefulness and problem solving as needed
- Report specific concerns or issues to the program staff and assist in resolving any problems
Complete our virtual orientation and application at https://literacyservices.org/volunteer/
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
About Literacy Services of Wisconsin
555 N. Plankinton Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53203, US
Literacy Services of Wisconsin partners with motivated adults to provide access to quality basic education and skills training so they can improve their lives, enrich their families, and strengthen our community.
Literacy Services of Wisconsin is the longest volunteer-driven provider of adult literacy and basic education in the Milwaukee area. We are driven by our core belief in the power of education at any age to positively change lives.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
July 12, 2021
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Financial Literacy
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- We require volunteers to make a weekly commitment for the entirety of the class (16 weeks) or 6 months if working with an individual student. Some drop-in opportunities are available.