1 person is interested
Disaster Action Team Member - Mitchell County
ORGANIZATION: American Red Cross
Please visit the new page to apply.
1 person is interested
Title: Disaster Action Team Mitchell County
A Disaster Action Team (DAT) volunteer is a part of a local team that responds to local disasters including home fires and major storms to provide comfort, hope, and Red Cross services. DAT volunteers ease the difficulties of people unexpectedly overwhelmed by disasters. They are called on to engage with clients, first responders, and the public.
VIRTUAL VOLUNTEER: Volunteers follow up with those impacted by disasters via phone or computer to provide a "Good Hello" and complete a Client Intake Worksheet. During the response, volunteers provide compassion and resources like financial assistance for lodging to those displaced from their home. They may also provide community referrals and referrals to other Red Cross Services like Mental Health, Health Services, and Spiritual Care.
ON-THE-SCENE-VOLUNTEER: In person service delivery is a vital part of our mission. This could include on scene at a house fire, operating a shelter after a major disaster, or providing canteen to first responders during an emergency.
PROVIDE A "GOOD HELLO": Whether volunteers assist virtually or on-the scene, Red Crossers must be adaptable, flexible, and provide a "Good Hello" - to those who have experienced a disaster - as they now become our clients in our care. Responders must be able to demonstrate the following qualities in their "Good Hello":
- Care and Compassion
- Impartiality and Empathy
- Active listening
- Confidence to help on their "Road to Recovery"
- 18 years or older
- Available to be "on-call" for one week per month (this is flexible and can be done in shifts)
- Have a valid driver's license and vehicle (unless interested in virtual-only response options)
- Must have basic computer skills and knowledge
- Access to computer/tablet/smartphone and good connectively internet for response
- A "self-starter" to complete required online training courses and attend monthly meetings
- Able to collaborate with other Disaster Action Team members who are on scene and those responding virtually to ensure service delivery to those in need.
59 More opportunities with American Red Cross
About American Red Cross
100 Edgewood Road, Asheville, NC 28804, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
The American Red Cross, through its strong network of volunteers, donors and partners, is always there in times of need. We aspire to turn compassion into action so that...
...all people affected by disaster across the country and around the world receive care, shelter and hope;
...our communities are ready and prepared for disasters;
...everyone in our country has access to safe, lifesaving blood and blood products;
...all members of our armed services and their families find support and comfort whenever needed; and
...in an emergency, there are always trained individuals nearby, ready to use their Red Cross skills to save lives.
The Community of Mitchell CountySpruce Pine, NC 28777
May 16, 2023
- Safety & Disaster Education
- Disaster Response
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Must be on call 24/7 one week per month. Must complete 8 hours of training.