14 people are interested
ESOL Teacher Assistant (~ 2 to 4 hours per week)
ORGANIZATION: A FAITH THAT DOES JUSTICE, INC.
Please visit the new page to apply.
14 people are interested
Who are we seeking
A Faith That Does Justice is seeking volunteer Teacher Assistants who are committed to helping speakers of other languages learn English. They will teach students to communicate in English with those they encounter in daily living and to use their acquired language to improve their employment opportunities.
Why teach English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)?
Use teaching to serve social justice and build your own teaching skills. Help adult learners in vulnerable populations develop the language skills needed to obtain employment and to live successfully in this country. Through its interfaith mission to foster meaningful relationships and build solidarity with immigrants, the ESOL program of A Faith That Does Justice creates an expanded community network for teachers as well as students.
- 15 weeks long, two days of 2-hour sessions per week
- Class sessions occur on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6:30pm ET to 8:30pm ET or Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9:30am ET to 11:30am ET
- Classes are virtual using Zoom
- Approximately 10 students grouped by proficiency levels (Beginner & Intermediate)
- Students are adults
- Teachers are supported by ESOL Student Relationship Managers (mentors)
Teacher Assistant Commitment and Expectations
- Provide class session assistance to the ESOL Teacher one or two days per week for the entire 15-week cycle
- Be present and prepared for all sessions
- Be able to effectively host a Zoom meeting and to use Zoom controls such as chat, screen sharing, break out rooms, etc.
Is this right for me?
Teacher Assistants should speak English as a native but do not need to be bilingual as classes are taught in English. Prior teaching experience is a plus. We seek Teacher Assistants who are patient, engaging and dedicated to the mission of empowerment through education. Training is available to refresh or teach some technical skills.
AFTDJ is an interfaith program; members of all faiths and beliefs are welcome as both students and teachers and teacher assistants.
About A FAITH THAT DOES JUSTICE, INC.
PO Box 990152, BOSTON, MA 02199, US
A Faith That Does Justice is an interfaith organization that challenges people to experience God by living their faith intentionally in service to others. We do this by showing how unjust societal structures marginalize people and by acting to help those in need. Our vision is people intentionally living their faith in action.
Inspiring faith in action.
What We Do:
A Faith That Does Justice has four components:
- Faith in Action, an initiative that emphasizes the works of mercy. We offer English as a Second Language to enable those in need of better language skills to function in the work place and society.
- Community Meetings focus on social issues that affect the most vulnerable among us. These have included presentations on immigration, housing and homelessness, and racism.
- Monthly Workshops that bring English speaking and non-English speaking people together to realize that committed faith ought to be lived in action on behalf of justice for all.
- Communications, email and social media posting on social justice and faith topics to educate our readers and to remind and inform readers about important social justice issues such as racism and immigration.
Who We Are:
We are a volunteer-run program, helping people from different faith traditions walk in solidarity with those less fortunate. Volunteering with A Faith that Does Justice allows you to put your faith into action and make a difference in the lives of the less fortunate.
Who We Seek:
As a fully volunteer organization, we rely on the talents, skills and dedication of volunteers to carry out our mission. We ask that volunteers commit at least 2 hours per week supporting our endeavors.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
January 21, 2024
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Must be at least 22
- Provide class session assistance to the ESOL Teacher one or two days per week (~ 2 to 4 hours per week) for the entire 15-week cycle
- Many thanks for your interest in volunteering with a Faith That Does Justice. So we can know you better, please submit your resume and a brief statement to help us understand how your skills and experience will help you fill the role.