Clean-up/Beautification of Vacant Lot "Community Gathering Space"
Urban Development Corporation
Urban Development Corporation "UDC" is a nonprofit organization doing work in an inner-city neighborhood on the N.E. Side of Detroit. We've acquired a vacant lot for which we want to transform into beautiful green space and utilize for purposes of educational community gathering space. We see this project as an opportunity to educate Detroit residents concerning gainful employment opportunities, and the benefits of the latest computer technology and healthy eating.
UDC has need for individuals, churches, sororities, fraternities, corporations and other civic groups to help with the clean-up and beautification of the vacant lot. We also welcome volunteers assigned by the courts to perform community service hours.
We simply ask that you suggest days of availability, number of individuals in your group and times of availability to come out and lend a helping hand. All supplies and tools needed for the clean-up will be provided. If you enjoy the outdoors and welling to lend a helping hand please contact us via email.
About Urban Development Corporation
2727 Second Avenue, Suite 129, Detroit, MI 48201, US
Improve the quality of life and bring about positive life-style changing experiences of low to moderate income families who live in urban communities. In carrying out our mission Urban Development Corporation serves as a catalyst in the revitalization of communities through the development of activities and programs which promote clean, drug-free, healthy, safe and enjoyable family lifestyles.
The uniqueness of our organization is our willingness to address counter productive behaviors which plague many urban communities, they include: random gunshot firing, slum lording, illegal dumping, liquor stores on nearly every corner, vandalism, and the selling of illicit drugs. These activities are major contributing factors to the rapid deterioration of inner city neighborhoods and lead to a large number of eyesore houses having to be torn down.
Our efforts are currently concentrated in the following areas:
- Beautification and clean-up of inner city neighborhoods.
- Substance abuse awareness and prevention.
- Broadening the horizon of inner city youth through exposure to future career opportunities, the fine arts, and recreational activities.
- Acquisition and renovation of deteriorating properties.
- Unemployment and underemployment.
- Addressing environmental pollution concerns and issues.
- Serving as a liaison between residents, businesses; local police and municipalities to alleviate illegal activity.
- Rehab of our donated building which will be utilized as a community/employment center.