Target Staff Type Supported/Volunteer
Work Location JAARS Waxhaw
Help maintain and repair the JAARS operations vehicles and possibly staff vehicles.
In this position, you are helping JAARS make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth.
- Examine and diagnose vehicle problems, discuss nature or extent of malfunction with supervisor to determine best possible solution, then reassemble to manufacturer's specifications
- Plan work procedure, using technical manuals, electronic scanners, and experience, disassemble vehicle using hand tools to repair as needed
- Place vehicle on ramps or hydraulic lift to gain access to mechanical components
- Examine parts for wear or defects, diagnosing whether reconditioning or replacement is necessary to ensure reliable, safe vehicle operation
- Replace parts such as water pumps, alternators, starters, compressors, brakes; may repair tires or change tires if needed
- Maintain records of vehicle repairs using a computer, and plan periodic preventative maintenance such as oil and filter changes
- Keep work area clean, neat, and tidy
- Maintain polite, professional communication, via phone and email
- A deep and growing walk with the Lord Jesus that includes your personal spiritual growth and the ability to support others in their spiritual growth
- Embrace the vision, mission, and core values of JAARS
- Must have experience as a mechanic, know the way around the shop, the tools to use, and how to carry out duties and work details
- Self-starter, must be able to work under little supervision, and highly motivated by the love for missions
- Automotive repair shop experience required
- Technical college training preferred but not mandatory depending on previous job history and experience
- Computer experience preferred for record keeping
7405 Jaars Rd, PO Box 248, WAXHAW, NC 28173, US
JAARS' mission is to make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote places on earth. We do that by enabling locally appropriate and sustainable solutions in transportation, technology, media and training.
JAARS is a multidisciplinary team of problem-solvers who is committed to the belief and the vision that people’s lives and communities are transformed as they experience God’s Word in their own language.
We are a community of missionaries, volunteers and a few employees who work together to accomplish the Great Commission goal of providing Scripture to every people group on earth in the language they understand best - their native language. We do that by supporting Bible translation and language development partners globally and by working with prayer and financial partners in the United States to help make a range of unique on-the-field solutions possible.