Good Neighbor Settler Resident
Good Neighbor Waco, a Christian non-profit organization, is seeking singles or married couples to serve an average of 7-10 hours per week in exchange for partially subsidized rent.
Resident workers live in private quarters on site. A portion of their service hours involves hosting groups using the community rooms at 2301 Colcord Ave. and participating in household upkeep or administrative work. With their remaining service hours, resident workers are encouraged to create and run neighborhood projects in their areas of interest including the arts, urban gardening, community engagement, education, worship, etc.
Applicants would commit to 9-12 months of live-in service, to begin June, July, or August 1 (with specific dates and roles to be discussed during the application process). Residents must be able to live and work well with others and contribute meaningfully to community living.
Applicants over 21 are preferred, although exceptions may be made. Good Neighbor does not discriminate by race, gender, gender expression, ethnicity, nationality, age or sexual identity. Although we expect settlers and board members to be Christian in order to follow our mission, activities at Good Neighbor are not restricted by religion.
For more information and an application please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About GOOD NEIGHBOR SETTLEMENT HOUSE - WACO
2301 COLCORD AVE, WACO, TX 76707, US
Building on the Christian mandate to love our neighbors and on the ideals of the early settlement houses, Good Neighbor House facilitates social integration and worship among diverse Wacoans as we invest our knowledge, faith, and experiences in community life together.
Good Neighbor House is a faith-based organization, responding to Christ’s call for us to love our neighbors as ourselves. In the parable of the Good Samaritan, the "good neighbor" is the one who helps another, despite cultural differences. In one of the most diverse areas in Waco, our primary goal is to build community among all of our neighbors, as we come together to share our knowledge, experiences, and faith.
Good Neighbor House "loves our neighbors" by providing space and educational and social programs that enrich these opportunities for fellowship.
- Create and maintain a safe and welcoming community space for all neighbors: individuals, families, and groups.
- Organize minimal, flexible programming to build community among neighbors (e.g. gardening, worship, arts, lending library).
- Host non-profit community groups aligning with our mission (e.g. language classes, worship groups, arts and crafts groups, 12-step programs).
- Participate in the spiritual, intellectual and social formation of settlers and other volunteers as they experience the joys and challenges of daily life in a diverse neighborhood.
- Honor the traditional settlement idea by partnering with Waco’s churches, college and university groups, businesses, and others in support of our mission.
2301 Colcord AveWaco, TX 76707
February 13, 2020
- Community Outreach
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 7-10 hours per week
- Although we expect settlers and board members to be Christian in order to follow our mission, activities at Good Neighbor are not restricted by religion.