A Mentorship Program Vista
1 person is interested
THIS IS A PAID VOLUNTEER POSITION
Founded in 1987, Our House is a comprehensive program for the working homeless serving over 2,000 clients annually. Our House’s mission is to empower homeless and near-homeless families and individuals to succeed in the workforce, in school, and in life through hard work, wise decision-making, and active participation in the community. Operating on a 7-acre campus in central Little Rock, Our House provides working homeless and near-homeless individuals and families with shelter, housing, job training, education, children’s programs, and more to equip them with the skills to be successful in the workforce, the community, and their own families.
Reporting to the Youth Program Manager, the Mentorship Program VISTA will:
- Develop and formalize the Youth Mentoring Program, IMPACT, for Our Club middle and high school youth - expanding from just boys to include girls
- Partner with groups and organizations to create a pipeline of mentors
- Lead mentor recruitment by distributing and reviewing mentor applications, selecting mentors and creating mentor/youth matches
- Design and lead mentor orientation including a tour of Our House and introductions to the Our Club team, including youth participants.
- Design and lead on-going, regularly scheduled mentor training
- Send out monthly mentorship communication
- Develop a mentor training system
- Plan and execute on-campus events and activities that involve Our Club and the mentor program
- Integrate the two-generation approach into the mentor program
- Invite and encourage parents/guardians to attend all mentor program events
This is a full-time national service position that provides a living allowance of $12,277 over the course of one year, plus a $5,920 education award at the end of a successful one-year term of service. Health insurance is not available, but some health coverage to help with the cost of co-pays and other medical expenses are available to VISTA Members. Childcare assistance and relocation assistance are available to VISTA Members who qualify. Life insurance and 1 year of non-competitive eligibility for federal employment are also available. Some professional development training opportunities are offered and paid for by Our House. You are responsible for your own housing and other living expenses.
All-year-round VISTAs will be thoroughly committed to Our House’s mission and to national service. All candidates should have the following qualifications and experience:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking skills.
- Strong people skills. Able to form effective working relationships with a wide range of people.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to drive multiple simultaneous projects to completion.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to lift 35 pounds
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- A United States Citizen, National, or Permanent Resident.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Must commit to serving full-time (40 hours)
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $12,277.00 /year
About Our House
302 E Roosevelt Rd, Little Rock, AR 72206, US
Our House empowers homeless and near-homeless families and individuals to succeed in the workforce, in school, and in life through hard work, wise decision-making, and active participation in the community.
Our House operates an 80-bed shelter, a 39-bed family housing program (18 family rooms), an education and job training center, a licensed child development center, and a feeding program that serves over 45,000 meals per year. Our House also offers additional free services that help people transform their lives. Services include one-on-one case management, after school and summer programs, parenting classes and job search assistance. Our House programs help people become successful members of the workforce, the community, and their own families.
We'll work with your schedule.
302 E. Roosevelt RdLittle RockLittle Rock, AR 72113
- Literacy / Reading
- Child Care
- Child Development
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18