Youth Program Vista
*THIS IS A PAID VOLUNTEER POSITION*
Founded in 1987, Our House is a comprehensive program for the working homeless serving over 2,000 clients annually. Our House’s mission is to empower homeless and near-homeless families and individuals to succeed in the workforce, in school, and in life through hard work, wise decision-making, and active participation in the community. Operating on a 7-acre campus in central Little Rock, Our House provides working homeless and near-homeless individuals and families with shelter, housing, job training, education, children’s programs, and more to equip them with the skills to be successful in the workforce, the community, and their own families.
Reporting to the Youth Program Specialist, the Youth Program VISTA will:
- Develop curriculum and programming for youth 6th -12th grade, focusing on post-high school success, including college prep and readiness and career readiness
- Develop a system(s) to track the youth’s involvement in these programs and create a tool to measure success and impact
- Work with the Mentorship Program VISTA and Children’s Programs VISTA to recruit volunteers and mentors to participate in programs and activities focused on college readiness and career readiness
- Develop partnerships with the community, LRSD, local charter schools, and other organizations to participate in programs and activities focused on college readiness and career readiness
- Seek out college-focused summer programs, including scholarship opportunities, for our youth
- Create a database of scholarship opportunities for our youth
- Work with local universities to create a scholarship program dedicated to youth that graduate from our program
- Integrate the two-generation approach into the program design
- Plan, invite and encourage parents/guardians to attend program events
This is a full-time national service position that provides a living allowance of $12,456 over the course of one year, plus a $6,095 education award at the end of a successful one-year term of service. Health insurance is not available, but some health coverage to help with the cost of co-pays and other medical expenses are available to VISTA Members. Childcare assistance and relocation assistance are available to VISTA Members who qualify. Life insurance and 1 year of non-competitive eligibility for federal employment are also available. Some professional development training opportunities are offered and paid for by Our House. You are responsible for your own housing and other living expenses.
All-year-round VISTAs will be thoroughly committed to Our House’s mission and to national service. All candidates should have the following qualifications and experience:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking skills.
- Strong people skills. Able to form effective working relationships with a wide range of people.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to drive multiple simultaneous projects to completion.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to lift 35 pounds
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- A United States Citizen, National, or Permanent Resident.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Must commit to serving full-time (40 hours) for a one-year term
Please send a resume and cover letter to Corinthian Williams, VISTA Leader at vistaleader[at]ourhouseshelter.org. Include the words "Youth Programs VISTA" in the email subject line.
Our House is a drug-free workplace.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $12,456.00 /year
Job Type: Full-time
About Our House
302 E Roosevelt Rd, Little Rock, AR 72206, US
Our House empowers homeless and near-homeless families and individuals to succeed in the workforce, in school, and in life through hard work, wise decision-making, and active participation in the community.
Our House operates an 80-bed shelter, a 39-bed family housing program (18 family rooms), an education and job training center, a licensed child development center, and a feeding program that serves over 45,000 meals per year. Our House also offers additional free services that help people transform their lives. Services include one-on-one case management, after school and summer programs, parenting classes and job search assistance. Our House programs help people become successful members of the workforce, the community, and their own families.
We'll work with your schedule.
302 E. Roosevelt RdLittle RockLittle Rock, AR 72113
- Youth Services
- Child Development
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 40 Hours Per Week