DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
Peer-to-Peer Volunteer Teacher (VIRTUAL!!)
DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
***PLEASE NOTE: WHILE THIS IS A VIRTUAL OPPORTUNITY DUE TO COVID, APPLICANTS MUST LIVE IN THE CUYAHOGA COUNTY, OHIO AREA!!!**
NAMI Peer-to-Peer teachers assist in NAMI’s mission of support, education, and advocacy by providing adults living with mental health challenges with recovery-focused support and education designed to aid, achieve, and maintain wellness. This course is taught by trained peers with lived experience. Classes follow a structured educational format that includes opportunity for peer connection and support through learned wisdom and group discussion. Discussions are confidential. Interactive exercises focus on mindfulness and meditation, relapse prevention, and practical coping skills. NAMI Greater Cleveland strongly believes in peer support and we seek qualified candidates for this signature program who have lived experience to draw from.
Minimum Requirements for Volunteer Peer-to-Peer Teachers
- Must be an individual with a mental health condition who identifies themselves in recovery
- Willingness to complete a 6-8 hour online and 2-day in-person training to adhere to the fidelity of the NAMI Peer- to-Peer model
- Maintain participant confidentiality
- Is (or willing to become) a member of NAMI
- Respects his/her own emotional and physical resources and limitations
- As a Peer-to-Peer teacher, does not act in the capacity of therapist or any other health professional
- Adheres to the integrity of the NAMI Peer-to-Peer model. Demonstrates this during the course by utilizing the facilitation tools and skills he/she has been trained by NAMI to provide
- Facilitates each class to the best of his/her ability
- Willingness to participate in continuing development to provide the best education experience possible and continually improve facilitator skills
- Respects cultural and lifestyle differences of group participants
- Understands that his/her behaviors reflect on the integrity and perception of NAMI and the programs NAMI offers and, therefore, keeps personal opinions and actions separate from those made as a NAMI leader
- Ability to provide group participant data as required
- Positive regard for, or personal experience with Peer-to-Peer classes
- Be a team player as you fulfill this role in coordination with NAMI Greater Cleveland and your co- teacher.
- Be comfortable with reading aloud and speaking to an
About National Alliance on Mental Illness- Greater Cleveland
2012 West 25th Street, Suite 705, Cleveland, OH 44113, US
NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Greater Cleveland is dedicated to empowering those living with mental illness and their family members to achieve a better quality of life by providing education, support, information, and referrals.
NAMI Greater Cleveland provides services to those with serious mental illnesses and their family members through a variety of support and education programs. In addition, we advocate on behalf of our members and the community on issues related to mental illness. Program highlights include:
- Support Groups: 16 groups providing mutual support averaging 2,500 visits per year;
- Helpline: providing information and referral to over 1,485 callers per year;
- Educational Courses: free classes, including NAMI’s signature Family to Family course, reaching over 75 participants per year;
- Outreach: providing information about mental illness via our Community Education Nights, Speakers Bureau and Health Fairs to more than 1,100 people per year;
- Multi-Cultural Outreach: providing specialized services to the African-American and Hispanic communities, including Spanish-language courses and materials.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
September 8, 2021
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Teaching Time commitment • Commitment to conduct 2 Peer-to-Peer classes within a period of two years • Willingness/flexibility to travel and teach throughout the Greater Cleveland area
- This opportunity is occurring through Zoom right now, but will resume in person settings once NAMI returns to the office after the pandemic.