Missoula Senior Corps is in need of Senior Companions to serve a minimum of 15 hours a week. Volunteer activities can include sharing at meal times, chaperoning trips for shopping, assisting with games, and numerous other activities. In general, a Senior Companion is a trusted friend who cares about the well being of the client they serve!
Summary of Job: The Senior Companion Program offers volunteer community service opportunities, for income eligible people aged 55 and over, to provide supportive one on one services to assist adults who have exceptional needs, developmental disabilities, or other special needs for companionship. The role of the Senior Companion is to provide 15 hours of weekly personal support for adults who need help living independently, with goals of encouraging independence and promoting increased quality of life. Senior Companions may also provide much needed respite time for families or caregivers who may have the responsibility of 24 hour a day care for people with disabilities or older adults with special needs. Senior Companions work in a variety of settings. However, all Senior Companions have the following responsibilities:
1. Have fun.
2. Visit assigned clients regularly.
3. Provide one-on- personal support to adults.
4. Listen well and give full attention to the individual being visited.
5. Encourage independence and promote increased quality of life to clients.
6. Respect confidentiality.
7. Keep an accurate time sheet.
8. Complete the required training and monthly in-service.
- Stipend allows eligible persons to serve as volunteers without cost to themselves
- Assistance with the cost of transportation to and from place of work and official project activities
- Training to prepare for serving
- Paid personal leave - encompasses vacation and sick time
- Paid holidays (10 per year)
- Insurance: excess accident, automobile liability and medical coverage to and from your volunteer assignments
- Appreciation from clients and volunteer station
- Personal Satisfaction
- Elder care
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Veteran Care
- Special Needs
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 55
- Orientation or Training
- 15 weekly hours
- Must be friendly