Missoula Senior Corps is recruiting for a Senior Companion to serve a minimum of 15 hours a week. Volunteer activities can include sharing at meal times, chaperoning trips for shopping, assisting with games, crafts, and numerous other activities. In general, a Senior Companion is a trusted friend who cares about the well being of the client they serve!
Summary of Job: The Senior Companion Program offers volunteer community service opportunities, for income eligible people aged 55 and over, to provide supportive one on one services to assist adults who have exceptional needs, developmental disabilities, or other special needs for companionship. The role of the Senior Companion is to provide 15 hours of weekly personal support for adults who need help living independently, with goals of encouraging independence and promoting increased quality of life. Senior Companions may also provide much needed respite time for families or caregivers who may have the responsibility of 24 hour a day care for people with disabilities or older adults with special needs. Senior Companions work in a variety of settings. However, all Senior Companions have the following responsibilities:
1. To visit assigned clients regularly, and to telephone when detained or unable to visit.
2. Be a good listener and give full attention to the individual being visited.
3. To abide by the rules of the volunteer station and the Senior Companion Program.
4. To encourage the independence of clients.
5. To inform the volunteer station if going to be late, absent or when you are unable to work.
6. To respect confidentiality.
7. To keep their time sheet up to date and accurate.
8. To complete the required training (40 hours) attend required monthly in-service training.
9. Provide one-on-one personal support to adults.
10. Encourage independence and promote increased quality of life.
11. To use the most effective methods of communication with supervisors, clients and client families if applicable
- Stipend allows eligible persons to serve as volunteers without cost to themselves
- Assistance with the cost of transportation to and from place of work and official project activities
- Training to prepare for serving
- Paid personal leave - encompasses vacation and sick time
- Paid holidays (10 per year)
- Insurance: excess accident, automobile liability and medical coverage to and from your volunteer assignments
- Appreciation from clients and volunteer station
- Elder care
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Veteran Care
- Special Needs
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 55
- Orientation or Training
- 1 year
- Must be friendly