R.O.C Star Employment Coach (for high school students)
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
1 person is interested
Volunteer Employment Coaches work with students, from February to May, on soft skills and activities that support their successful launch into the workplace.
- The Starfish Alliance Inc. ROM program offers a unique, no experience necessary, opportunity for volunteers to give back to the community and connect with youth who attend Columbus City or South Western City schools.
- We invite compassionate community members, like yourself, to join us in our mission to prepare youth for life after high school.
- Volunteers mentor, advise, and celebrate youth progress toward goals in employment, education, and entrepreneurship.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Help youth set/refine goals in multiple domains (i.e., life, academics, work, etc.)
- Provide feedback on progress toward personal and academic goals
- Look for "mentoring moments" - opportunities to listen and provide encouragement when they fail to follow through on commitments
- Commit to seven scheduled lunch sessions Feb-May (every other week; 1 hr each)
- Bring real workplace experience/insight to mentor, advise, and celebrate youth progress toward goals in employment
- Assist students in activities to launch a successful internship or work experience for the summer of 2020
- Ability to successfully pass a background check (FBI/BCI)
- Schedule allows for consistent participation in coaching sessions
- Reliable transportation
- Culturally competent and empathetic to backgrounds/circumstances that differ from your own
- Fully commit to being a great, trusted, reliable sounding board
- Communicate effectively (clear, open and honest) - sometime requires initiating conversation as youth are still developing their communication and relationship development skills
About The Starfish Alliance, Inc
1105 Schrock Road, Ste 200, Columbus, OH 43229, US
To prepare resilient, successful youth who thrive and make positive contributions where they live, learn, and work.
Starfish Alliance is a registered 501(c)(3) focused on delivering results oriented school-based programming to youth. We specialize in engagement strategies for youth at-risk of poor outcomes in employment and education. Our programs prepare youth to overcome challenges and seize opportunities by adopting positive behaviors, building stronger relationships, and engaging in learning environments.
We'll work with your schedule.
Various locations at different high schoolsColumbus, OH 43228
- Youth Services
- Child Development
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour every other week (11am - Noon OR 11:30am - 12:30pm) from January to May.