Spread joy of Special Olympics in the Five Valleys Area! Become Area Director today!
Primary Purpose: The Area Director leads the Area Management Team to ensure that quality Special Olympics sports training programs and athletic competition events are available to all eligible individuals in a specific geographic location. The Area Director oversees the general operations of the Area Management Team by providing management, leadership and support to all members, volunteers, partners or teammates and athletes in a designated area. This position is the primary contact for the Area and the primary liaison between the Area Management Team and the state office of Special Olympics Montana.
- General: Ensures the effective action of the Area Management Team (AMT) in governing and supporting the Area, and oversees all AMT affairs; Acts as the representative of the Area and Area Management Team as a whole, rather than an individual supervisor to other volunteers.
- Community: Speaks to the media and community on behalf of the organization; represents the Area in the community.
- Area Planning and Oversight: With the help of AMT members and SOMT staff, constructs the Area’s Annual Plan and provides quarterly updates on progress of assigned tasks; With Assistant AD, develops and distributes the Annual Calendar; With Finance Coordinator, reviews all Area and Team Funds requests prior to approval.
- Volunteer Management: Facilitates annual AMT self-evaluation process; identifies volunteer needs and works with AMT and SOMT Outreach Director to recruit and train new AMT volunteers.
- Meetings: Schedules monthly meeting times and locations; Develops meeting agendas in concert with Assistant Area Director and SOMT Outreach Director/Coordinator; Presides at AMT meetings.
- Committees: Recommends to the AMT which committees are to be established annually and works with AMT members to recruit volunteers to each committee. Serves on the AMT’s Administrative Committee.
- Special Olympics Montana Connection: Participates in monthly Area Director calls with SOMT staff; Completes annual evaluation with SOMT Outreach Director/Coordinator; Serves a 3-5 year term
About Special Olympics Montana
710 1st Ave N, Great Falls, MT 59401, US
The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes, and the community.
Special Olympics Montana is a nonprofit organization designed to provide year-round, statewide programs of physical fitness, sports training and athletic competition for children and adults with intellectual disabilities and closely related developmental disabilities.
Learn more at www.somt.org.
We'll work with your schedule.
The Missoula AreaMissoula, MT 59801
- Event Planning / Management
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Special Needs
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Serves a 3-5 year term. HOURS: 5 hours per week. Hours will vary depending on season.
- Must complete Class A volunteer application and screening process through Special Olympics Montana.