11 people are interested
Sexual Assault Nurse Exam Volunteer Advocate
ORGANIZATION: YWCA OF KALAMAZOO
Please visit the new page to apply.
11 people are interested
Volunteer Position: Sexual Assault Nurse Exam Supportive
Department: Victim Services
Program: Emergency Response Services
Director: Sherry Brockway
Eliminate racism, empower women, and promote peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
When you receive a call during your shift, you will meet the victim/survivor at the exam site and provide emotional support and information to the survivors and their families and/or friends. A six-month commitment to this position is preferred. Exceptions to the position commitment must be approved by the program director.
- 18 years of age or older (Male and Female)
- Ability to respond to a call within 30 minutes, and
- Be available for calls three times a month, Monday - Friday, between 5:00 pm, and 8:00 am, on weekends and holidays from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Exceptions must be approved by the program director.
- Excellent verbal and non-verbal Communication Skills
- Volunteers contract to serve three (3) shifts a month or a minimum of one (1) year. Any exceptions to this must be approved by the program director
Statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
- Respect the confidentiality of all client/agency information
- Be available for calls three times a month, Monday - Friday, between 5:00 pm, and 8:00 am, on weekends and holidays from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Respond to NE site (YWCA) or local hospital when a sexual assault is reported.
- Provide support and advocacy on-site to primary and secondary victims of sexual assault.
- Complete required supportive contact forms
- Adhere to policies and procedures of the YWCA Sexual Assault Program.
- Complete 13.5-hour training/screening process
- Patient and non-judgmental in relation to survivor’s interests and attitudes
- Ability to work under pressure
- Sexual Assault Nurse Exam (SANE) and Emergency Response Team (ERT) two-day training provided by YWCA in collaboration with other agencies.
- Volunteer and Victim Services Program Orientation
- Basic empathy skills
- Role Play
- Sexual assault laws and information on legal processes
- Information on evidence collection/medical concerns.
- Rape Trauma Syndrome and common reactions to assault
- Issues of diversity.
- Information about date rape drugs
- Self-care for caregivers/support providers
13 More opportunities with YWCA OF KALAMAZOO
About YWCA OF KALAMAZOO
353 E. Michigan Avenue, 1155 Portage Road, Kalamazoo, MI 49007, US
YWCA Kalamazoo is on a mission to eliminate racism, empower women, stand up for social justice, help families, and strengthen communities.
YWCA Kalamazoo serves as a primary resource for economic, gender, and racial justice for all women and girls in Kalamazoo. We have been at the forefront of the most pressing social movements for more than 150 years- from voting rights to civil rights, from affordable housing to pay equity, from violence prevention to health care reform.
Today we combine programming and advocacy in order to generate institutional change in three key areas: racial justice, civil rights, empowerment and economic advancement of women and girls, and health and safety of women and girls
353 E. Michigan AvenueKalamazooKalamazoo, MI 49007
March 17, 2023
- Crisis Intervention
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Patient Care
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- On-call for shifts: Evenings (5 pm-9 am), Weekends, and Holidays. Exceptions to time commitment must be approved by the program director.