Host Homes-Interested in Ending Youth Homelessness?
The Los Angeles LGBT Center Youth Host Homes program provides supportive, short-term housing for youth ages 18-24 experiencing housing instability, with a focus on being inclusive and supportive of youth who identify as LGBTQ. By pairing transition-aged youth with community members who have underutilized spaces in their homes, youth not only obtain access to short-term shelter but are also able to build meaningful connections to caring adults in their community. Matches will be made based on shared interests and goals that will create the foundation for lasting, meaningful relationships.
Hosts in the Los Angeles LGBT Center Host Homes Program are adults, 30 years of age and above, or families who are willing to open their homes to young people looking for a short-term resource and support. We are looking for people who have a deep commitment to our communities, our youth and social change-not just through the sharing of resources, but through a transformative and intimate process of sharing our homes and our lives.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Host commits to providing a welcoming, safe, non-judgmental environment and to supporting the self-determined goals of youth.
- Host completes a monthly meeting with the Host Homes Coordinator and a monthly team meeting with the Host, Guest, Host Homes Coordinator, and Host Homes Youth Care Specialist present.
- Create a contract together with the youth and Host Homes staff to collaboratively establish house rules, boundaries and set up clear expectations for youth coming into the home.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Host has an extra bedroom or private space in their home for a youth to reside. Shared bathrooms and common living areas are acceptable
- Host completes an application, home visit interview assessment, and is able to provide a minimum of 3 references.
- Host has verifiable renters/homeowner insurance
- Host passes a Live Scan/background clearance check
TRAINING, EDUCATION, AND/OR LICENSURE:
- Required attendance at 8-hour Host Homes Training
*Optional stipend available for approved hosts to cover additional housing expenses
E-mail inquiries to: email@example.com
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Los Angeles LGBT Center
1125 N McCadden Pl, Los Angeles, CA 90038, US
Our mission is to support high school GSAs and other LGBTQA groups in becoming self-sustaining and developing leadership that utilizes communication skills, social actions and trainings to impact their communities.
We are the Community Action Network (CAN) program at the Los Angeles LGBT Center.
Community Action Network (CAN) is a volunteer based program seeking people ages 18-24 who are passionate about working with LGBTQ youth. CAN collaborates with middle and high school students and advisors throughout Los Angeles to build GSA’s/LGBTQ groups. Trainings incorporate storytelling, LGBT competency, and social change actions that inspire students to become leaders.
We also incorporate collaborative activities and interactive learning in order to build community and make people feel more comfortable to be themselves, connect with each other and participate in leadership both inside and outside of the classroom.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
September 24, 2021
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 30
- Orientation or Training