Translator/Interpreter (Spanish/Russian/Arabic/French) for Los Angeles LGBT Center
26 people are interested
The Immigration Law Project provides direct legal representation and holistic support to LGBT persons who have survived persecution and torture in their home countries. The Project represents clients before the immigration court (Executive Office of Immigration Review) and US Citizenship and Immigration Services.
This position supports the Immigration Law Project of the Legal Services Department. The Immigration Law Project assists LGBT survivors of persecution and torture who are seeking protection (asylum) in the United States. The Project is primarily looking for volunteers who are fluent or proficient in the following languages:
We are also seeking to build our capacity of volunteers who speak regional dialects of lesser known languages or indigenous dialects. We seek volunteer support to translate documents for clients from over 100 countries, with new need for assistance in translating and interpreting arising each week.
Volunteers will come to the office to work with our team to translate documents, help interpret for clients via telephone, appear at our office to help translate during attorney-client meetings, or accompany clients to appointments or court dates. Examples of documents that need to be translated from a foreign language to English include: marriage certificates, police reports, medical records, letters, birth certificates, travel documents, and others.
Volunteer opportunities to translate or interpret arise at different times of day and require different time commitments, depending on the case and the client need. In their application, volunteers should provide their availability for scheduling purposes. In-person interpretation sessions require approximately 30 minutes to 1.5 hours of time commitment per session. These meetings are scheduled in advance and can be set to work with the volunteer’s schedule. Translations of documents may require approximately 15 minutes to 1 hour and may be completed remotely, pending approval.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work directly with clients to complete applications for immigration relief;
- Translate documents by reading original documents and typing an English translation;
- Interpret for clients at meetings with staff and attorneys;
- Translate in person or on the phone for clients attending meetings;
- Attend in-office meetings and/or hearings at own expense for parking at:
THE LOS ANGELES IMMIGRATION COURT 606 S Olive St, Los Angeles, CA 90014
THE ANAHEIM ASYLUM OFFICE 1585 S Manchester Ave, Anaheim, CA 92802
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ethnicities, ages, sexual orientation and genders in a multicultural setting;
- Fluency in English;
- Fluency or proficiency in a foreign language;
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills required;
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite programs;
- Ability to work with vulnerable population or survivors of trauma preferred;
- Must maintain confidentiality of client information and work product;
- Valid identification to enter Immigration Court and Asylum Office
Applicants should please note the languages they speak and their level of proficiency or fluency in each of the following: reading, writing, speaking, simultaneous translation.
About Los Angeles LGBT Center - Volunteer Resources
The Village at Ed Gould Plaza, 1125 N. McCadden Place, Los Angeles, CA 90038, US
"Building a world where LGBT people thrive as healthy, equal and complete members of society."
The Los Angeles LGBT Center is one of the nation's largest and most experienced health and mental healthcare providers, serving the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community, and has been working arduously--for more than 48 years--to continue advocating for the rights of LGBT people.
The Volunteer Resources department at the Los Angeles LGBT Center aims to provide meaningful opportunities to enhance Center services and activities, and promote the community's involvement in the organization.
We'll work with your schedule.
Los Angeles Immigration Court606 S. Olive St.Los Angeles, CA 90014
- Immigration Law
- Public Advocacy
- Must be able to travel at own cost and accommodation to: The Los Angeles Immigration Court, 606 S Olive St, Los Angeles, CA 90014 and/or The Anaheim Asylum Office, located 1585 S Manchester Ave, Anaheim, CA 92802