Puppy Raiser for an Autism Service Dog
Do you love puppies or want to learn more about dog training? Our puppy raising program provides a unique opportunity for you to assist Good Dog! in helping children and families living with autism. As a volunteer puppy raiser, you will provide a puppy with a safe home, take them to obedience classes, feed them a healthy diet, socialize them and give them lots of love.
Our volunteer puppy raisers provide a great service to the Good Dog! program; you will help establish the foundation of early experiences, which are critical in preparing the puppy for Advanced Training. Dog training experience is not required and we will teach you the basics of raising a puppy and obedience training.
This commitment involves four major areas of personal and financial responsibility:
- Provide a safe home environment.
- Supply Good Dog! approved food and other supplies required for puppy raising.
- Participate in puppy training obedience classes at least twice a month.
- Keep up to date notes in a Training Log.
- Participate in weekly phone check-ins with your puppy raiser coordinator.
- Expose the puppy to a variety of environmental and situational experiences.
- Agree to follow Good Dog! approved socialization guidelines and handling techniques.
You must be willing and able to commit to the outlined responsibilities; you must have the ability to safely house and care for a puppy from eight weeks of age until approximately 12 months of age. You must be willing and able to devote time each day to oversee the complete care of the puppy: feeding, grooming, socialization, and exercise as recommended by our Good Dog! Lead Trainer.
We are seeking volunteer puppy raisers in the San Diego, CA area. Puppy raisers must be willing to travel to attend puppy training classes at least twice a month in San Diego.
Good Dog! pays for all medical costs related to the puppy. Puppy Raiser pays the cost of supplies, food and care.
Please note that your household must not include children under 6 or other pets under 2 years of age. You must have a fenced yard or be willing to create a secure area for the puppy to run freely.
Apply online at https://www.gooddogautismcompanions.org/puppy-raiser-application.html or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We'll work with your schedule.
From your homeSan Diego, CA 92107
- Animal Care / Handling
- People 55+
- Orientation or Training
- Puppy raisers care for a puppy full-time for about 10-12 months starting when the puppy is 8 months old.
- Please note that your household must not include children under 6 or other pets under 2 years of age. You must have a fenced yard or be willing to create a secure area for the puppy to run freely.