DONATE TO THIS
22 people are interested
Heroes Assemble! Health Professionals needed to provide Red Cross care during disasters
ORGANIZATION: American Red Cross Central California Region
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
22 people are interested
Are you a licensed health care professional? Get prepared now to help people in disaster shelters.
Due to being in the midstof an active wildfire season and the complexities of COVID-19, the Red Cross needs thousands of volunteers to care for people when disasters strike.
What is this role?
We need volunteers who can work in emergency shelters to help assess people’s health and provide hands-on care in alignment with their professional licensure (RN and LPN/LVN). We also need volunteers who can provide care as delegated by a licensed nurse in shelters; this could include assisting with activities of daily living, personal assistance services, providing health education and helping to replace medications, durable medical equipment or consumable medical supplies.
Daily observation and health screening for COVID-19-like illness among shelter residents may also be required. We have both associate and supervisory level opportunities available. If you are an RN, LPN, LVN, APRN, NP, EMT, paramedic, MD/DO or PA with an active, current and unencumbered license, there is a role for you. Ancillary roles are available locally for Certified Nursing Assistants, Certified Home Health Aides, student nurses and medical students. RNs supervise all clinical tasks.
Why is the role important?
Our wildfire shelter response teams are there to provide care and comfort to our communities while displaced during disasters. As wildfire season approaches, we have altered our response methods to abide by the guidelines established by our local public health departments and the CDC to best protect the safety of our clients, volunteers and staff during COVID-19. Natural disasters can strike at any moment, and we are working to prepare our communities in case that happens.
- Have an active license in one of the following: Registered Nurse (RN), Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN), Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Paramedic, Medical Doctor (MD), Doctor of Osteopathy (DO), Physician Assistant (PA), Nurse Practitioner (NP), Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN)
- Ability to complete online training - 6 hours
- Attend 1 shelter team update virtual meeting per month
- Flexible availability (preferably during Wildfire season June-November)
- Minimum of 5 days working 4-, 6- or 12-hour shifts during a two-week period during a disaster response
Ready to Make a Difference? Here's How to Get Started!
- Go to redcross.org/volunteer to complete our online application. It takes less than 10 minutes!
- A member of our team will get in touch. Taking the time for a personal conversation enables us to match you with a role that will be both meaningful and enjoyable.
- We’ll provide all necessary training to ensure you can be successful in your volunteer role.
About American Red Cross Central California Region
1300 W. Shaw Ave., Ste. 4B, Fresno, CA 93711, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Types of volunteer opportunities may include:
Boots on the Ground -- Your role could be to respond to home fires and other emergencies in your community, conduct in-home smoke alarm installations, or working in a wildfire shelter providing safe accommodations.
Instructor/Presenter positions to deliver education programs focused on preparedness, disasters and how to "Be Red Cross Ready" to adults and youth.
Working behind the Scenes positions include Keep the Red Cross Running -- Your role could be administrative/office support, scheduling shifts for your fellow volunteers, or logistics management to ensure disaster relief operations have the necessary supplies and equipment.
Lead the Way -- "Leadership" volunteers guide our efforts, inspire our volunteers and hold us accountable to the highest standards. Your role could be to lead a small team of fellow volunteers, act as an advisor to a Red Cross Club for youth, or support local Red Cross services by joining an advisory board or the Board of Directors.
Tell the Red Cross Story -- Communications & Outreach volunteers educate the public about Red Cross services and stories in your community. By getting our message out, you'll educate people in need about how we can help, while attracting volunteers and donors to the mission.
You can make a difference today at by becoming a volunteer at redcross.org/volunteer
1300 W Shaw Suite 4BFresnoFresno, CA 93711
May 16, 2022
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Spiritual Healing
- Veteran Care
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible schedule, must be willing to make a minimum of five 4-, 6- or 12-hour shifts within a two-week disaster response
- A current, unencumbered license in at least one of the following professions: o Registered Nurse o Licensed Practical Nurse o Licensed Vocational Nurse o Emergency Medical Technician o Paramedic o Medical Doctor o Physician Assistant