2 people are interested
Ruby Readers will read stories monthly for the Ruby the Red Panda story time hour. Story time includes reading out loud age appropriate books, rhymes and songs related to Blank Park Zoo.
Volunteers should be very comfortable reading out loud to children under 5 years old. If the volunteer is a trained animal presenter they may help with the animal presentation. Otherwise, Education staff will facilitate the education animal presentation.
Specific knowledge and skills needed:
- Desire to read to children 12 months through 5 years old.
- Able to perform three key early literacy activities:
- Reading aloud (possess a clear, expressive reading voice)
- Singing (no special skill required; chanting okay)
- Playing (finger plays and action rhymes)
- Able to entertain a group of young children and their parents/caregivers.
- Able to bend, crouch, reach, and stand for long periods of time.
- Able to lift at least 25 lbs.
- Be able to follow detailed directions and ask questions if clarification needed.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Animal Handling training is a positive but not required.
Type of training provided/needed:
- Fill out a volunteer application
- Complete a background check
- Attend volunteer orientation
- Attend Ruby Reader volunteer meetings as needed to go over plans for the year
We'll work with your schedule.
7401 Sw 9th StDes Moines, IA 50315
- Environmental Education
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1.5 hours a month