4 people are interested
Turn your Compassion into Action and Become a Mental Health Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: American Red Cross - Wisconsin Region
Please visit the new page to apply.
4 people are interested
Every day, the Red Cross sees the heartbreak of people coping with effects of natural disasters. Red Cross volunteers who are licensed mental health providers show up to meet needs. They invite you to join their team as a part of the Be One, Bring One campaign as the need for compassionate volunteers has never been greater. You can use your professional skills as a licensed mental health provider and volunteer to deliver mental health support to those in need. Apply today to become a Disaster Mental Health Volunteer so those in need don’t have to face tough times alone.
Red Cross Disaster Mental Health volunteer teams are active throughout the United States, meeting the emotional and psychosocial needs of disaster survivors and fellow Red Cross disaster workers. These teams respond to disasters of all sizes, from single family fires to large-scale events.
What does the Red Cross do & what do we need?
The Red Cross provides shelter, feeding, emergency supplies, health and mental support to hundreds of thousands of people affected by disasters of all sizes. We are actively recruiting new Disaster Mental health team members to provide support within your local community.
What does a Disaster Mental Health team do?
1. Respond to the immediate emotional distress and psychosocial needs of disaster survivors and Red Cross disaster responders
2. Supplement local mental health resources during times of disasters
3. Support the community in building resilience
1. Currently licensed mental health professionals:
- At minimum, holds a Master's Degree in one of the mental health positions listed below; and
- Holds a current, unencumbered license from, or is registered with, any US state or territory as a social worker, psychologist, professional counselor, marriage or family therapist, or psychiatrist (any level license/registration, including non-clinical licenses such as Licensed Masters Social Worker or LMSW)
2. Current school psychologists and school counselors:
- At minimum, holds a Master's Degree in school psychology or school counseling; and
- Holds a current, unexpired license or certification as a school psychologist or school counselor issued by a state board of education
3. Current psychiatric nurses:
- Have a state license as a registered nurse; and
- Have a minimum of 2 years' experience working in a psychiatric setting, verified by a letter from a current or previous employer
4. Retired mental health professionals:
- Meet the above educational criteria for specified profession; and
- Held a license (any level) from any US state or territory as a social worker, psychologist, professional counselor, marriage and family therapist, psychiatric nurse or psychiatrist, or a certificate as a school psychologist or school counselor, within the 5 years prior to on-boarding as a Disaster Mental Health worker; and
- Maintained a license or certification in good standing upon retirement and without any disciplinary action taken by issuing US state or territory licensing or certification board
1-2 hours (average) shifts per disaster response
- Number of responses vary per month
How to apply:
Please visit www.redcross.org/volunteer & submit your volunteer application.
Contact Alaina at firstname.lastname@example.org or 920-509-0510
About American Red Cross - Wisconsin Region
4860 Sheboygan Avenue, Madison, WI 53705, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether its one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.
Multiple locations Hudson, WI 54016
October 12, 2022
- Mental Health
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Crisis Counseling
- Social Work
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hours per response; # of disasters vary per month.
- Must submit a volunteer application at redcross.org/volunteer