Become a Volunteer Buddy with a local Senior! *Korean speaking preferred
Volunteer Position Description:
Are you an individual looking to spend time with a senior and make a direct impact? Our Senior Buddy Volunteers get matched one-on-one with a senior resident to form a friendship. Without social interaction and friendship, a senior can experience a lack of energy and motivation, depression, and other physical, emotional or mental health problems. Becoming a Senior Buddy can truly improve an isolated senior’s quality of life.
- Commit to an ongoing weekly shift of 1 - 2 hours
- Play cards or board games
- Read a book together
- Go on walks
- Work on an art project or craft
- Help the senior with technology
- Work in the garden together (if the senior has a plot)
- Listen to music together
- Work closely with Eden staff and report on any issues or get support when needed
- Previous experience working with seniors is preferred, but not required.
- Patience, an ability to actively listen and be present during time with matched senior.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and a positive personality and demeanor.
You will LOVE working with a senior, fostering a friendship and learning about their life, interests and personality. Senior Buddies will gain insight into the life and experience of a senior as well as the reward and satisfaction that comes from connecting with others and becoming more engaged in the community.
We'll work with your schedule.
2360 Samaritan PlaceSan Jose, CA 95124
- Elder care
- People Skills
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Time commitment: Buddies must commit to at least one hour per week for at least three months. Shifts are generally Monday through Friday for one hour between the hours of 8:30 am-5:30 pm.
- Senior Buddies do not: · Bring the resident to their home or go into their unit without staff present · Give legal or financial advice · Drive the resident in their car