Museum Gallery Attendant
5 people are interested
General Summary: Attendants at the Stephen and Peter Sachs Museum help to educate visitors on the building’s history, and protect and preserve the objects and exhibitions on display to the public.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet visitors and share the history of the Sachs Museum, Henry Shaw and MBG.
- Sharing information about permanent exhibits, such as the botanical mural, the architecture, and the portrait murals, as well as the temporary changing exhibitions located in the three galleries of the Museum building
- Communicating Museum rules which ensure the long-term preservation of the artifacts and structure; for example, no touching of the artifacts on view, and no food or drinks.
- 6 to 8 hours monthly, annually, Monday through Sunday.
- You will also be asked to attend at least two of the triannual Museum volunteer meetings per year.
- Attend scheduled 1 to 2-hour training/orientation
Skills and Abilities required:
- Interest in botany, art, history, architecture, and museum exhibitions.
- Successful Attendants have good communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with a wide variety of visitors, including school groups, large groups and families.
- Ability to learn and relate to visitors the topics they will be presenting.
- Ability to gauge visitor needs and suggest opportunities to learn more about all of the building and exhibitions, as well as connecting interests to suggest other areas of the Garden that visitors would enjoy.
- Volunteers must be mobile and able to climb stairs and stand for extended periods of time
- Work with staff and other volunteers in a cooperative and positive manner.
We'll work with your schedule.
4344 Shaw Blvd.St Louis, MO 63110
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- People 55+
- Orientation or Training
- 6-8 hours per month