Community Gardening Internship
1 person is interested
Summary of Position:
The position will help establish and maintain a community garden in DuPage County to promote civic engagement health and wellness within the community. The intern will be responsible for the following:
- Manage the season’s garden, which includes volunteer recruitment, partnership building, and ongoing garden maintenance throughout the growing season.
- Determine a course of action for the proceeds of the harvest to promote nutrition and better health for the greater community.
- Visit three area community gardens in the region, and provide reports on successes and challenges, best-practices, and qualitative impact on the community.
- Donate harvests to community partners agencies receiving food for food insecure clients.
- Meet with partners, local growers/farmers and public health officials to develop best-practices and complete final report of recommendations on the community gardening movement within the local food system.
- All other additional duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Must be flexible in regard to work hours. Some evening and weekend work required.
- Ability to drive, preferred if equipped with a reliable vehicle.
- Physical needs of the job: sitting, standing and lifting.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather (heat, humidity, rain and cold) and ability to pick up.
- Willingness to work independently and also cooperate as part of a team.
- A commitment to food justice and The GardenWorks Project’s mission.
VariousWest Chicago, IL 60186
- Urban Planning
- Community Outreach
- Resource Development / Management
- Approximately 10 hours per week, hours vary and can accommodate non-traditional work hours.