Summary: Floater volunteer tutors are needed for an adult learning lab at North Division High School. Volunteers will provide assistance to a small group of Adult Basic Education (ABE) students. Floaters will assist students as they work through basic reading, spelling, or math curriculum.
Estimated Time Commitment: Floater Volunteers commit to a regular schedule of 1.5-2 hour sessions once per week on Tuesday afternoons between 1:00-3:00pm and/or Wednesday afternoons between 1:00-4:00pm.
- High school diploma or GED and some college
- Must be patient, compassionate, supportive, and enthusiastic
- Should be able to follow directions to ensure instruction is delivered with consistency and fidelity
- Should have a desire to teach beginning adult students how to read and spell
- Should be willing to receive ongoing training to keep pace with their students
- Must have valid email address and regular email access
- Be reliable and inform Program Staff ahead of any absences
- Motivate students with positive reinforcement, patience, and enthusiasm
- Refer to training materials to hone skills and find information
- Ask questions whenever they arise; Program Director is available to assist you
- Adhere to the procedures and methods described in your training and confer with program staff when incorporating different materials into lessons
- Report specific concerns or issues to the Program Staff and assist in resolving any problems
We'll work with your schedule.
1011 Center StreetMilwaukee, WI 53206
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Adult Education
- Reading / Writing
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1.5 -2 hours per week for 6 months