- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
Ecosystem Restoration and Reforestation
Please visit the new page to apply.
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
Do you have a passion for conservation and sustainable development? Come to Lobitos in northern Peru and work towards conserving endemic flora and fauna with an international NGO!
The people of Lobitos remember that decades ago, their desertic landscape was once green. Without trees, and the shade they provide, the intense heat of Peru's northern sun makes it difficult to enjoy public space. Our qualitative research, and the direct demands of the women and the elderly, has led us to acknowledge the importance of green, shady neighborhoods for community development and community building. Greening is not easy in an arid land where lack of water is a main issue, and many public efforts to do so in the past have not been successful. This is why the "Green Lobitos" project directly involves fishermen families, as well as public entities and private companies in a community initiative aiming to recover the Peruvian dry forest (the natural habitat of the endangered Peruvian Plantcutter species) sustainably through the application of permaculture principles.
By slowly building trust through sensitization at a household level, EcoSwell has achieved the commitment of over 50 leaders, mainly women, which have been empowered to raise environmental awareness in their neighborhoods by reforesting public space, utilizing in-house waste and water reuse methods. Together, they have planted and are consistently taking care of more than 400 seedlings, some of which have already grown into full-sized trees. The project currently impacts the members of more than 50 fishermen families, raising their awareness on environmental issues and preparing them for climate change impact mitigation. It specially empowers women and children, as they are the ones who lead the greening efforts. The activities resulting from the project have reported as helpful for family self-esteem and in improving relationships between neighbours.
A typical day on this project may include:
- Design, plan and execution of a local communications and educational campaign to increase awareness about the dangers to the Peruvian Plantcutter.
- Taking part in house to house visits within the community delivering fertiliser, seedlings and helping participants of the project with maintaining their plants.
- Liaise and get involvement from all local stakeholders in conservation efforts (local government, local military, local big oil industry, local people, schools, fishermen, other organizations)
- Manage land surrounding Lobitos under conservation strategies and community vigilance.
- General monitoring of the plants and seedlings.
- Genuine interest in sustainable development.
- A positive attitude and willingness to learn.
- Experience working away from home.
- Ability to be flexible.
- Good team working skills.
Villa de Oficiales 270, Barrio Centro, Lobitos, Piura 20820, PE
Our mission is to design and develop socio-environmental, educational and infrastructure projects with the purpose of guiding the development of semi-rural localities in the north of Peru through the path of a sustainable development, increasing the quality of life of their inhabitants.
We are a surfing-inspired NGO operating in Lobitos, a small town on the northern coast of Peru. EcoSwell was established in 2013 by a multidisciplinary team of young professionals who have a passion for the development and well-being of Peru's vulnerable population and ecosystems. Since then, EcoSwell has positively impacted entire communities through immersive, bottom-up projects with the valued help of international volunteers, sponsors and the local people. Not only have we designed and built sustainable engineering solutions such as dry toilets, a solar distiller and irrigation systems, but we have also contributed to the empowerment of women and their families through educational programmes and workshops. We aspire to continue working closely with local communities to keep growing and expanding our impact across poorer parts of the region.
We are currently working on a diverse range of projects which we consistently need volunteer help with. The internships that we offer include:
- Eco Tourism
- Sanitation Initiatives and Waste Management
- Renewable Energy
- Surfonomics/World Surfer Reserve Research
- Medical Electives
EcoSwellVilla de Oficiales 270Barrio Centro 20820Lobitos, Piura Peru
March 17, 2022
- Habitat Restoration
- Environmental Education
- Grant Writing / Research
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 18
- We have a minimum stay of 2 weeks but a maximum stay of 30 weeks.
- A financial contribution is required. Please visit our website for more information: http://ecoswell.org/volunteer-contribution.html