Great Iowa River Race 2019
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
6 people are interested
Help Johnson County Conservation to host this fun community event! The Great Iowa River Race is a nine-mile race on the Iowa River from Sturgis Ferry Park in Iowa City to the Hills Campground in Hills Iowa. The race is open to canoers, kayakers, and paddleboarders of all ages and skill levels. All proceeds from the race benefit the Johnson County Conservation Environmental Education program, which hosts dozens of free public education/recreation events each year and hundreds of free outdoor field trips for local schools.
Volunteer needs are diverse. We need folks to help with:
- Check-in table
- Canoe and kayak rental distribution
- photographing the racers and event activities
- assisting with lunch (specifically, helping guide racers to recycle and compost waste correctly)
- assisting staff with race timing
- Paddling in the sweeper canoe behind racers to assist anyone having difficulty
All volunteers will be gifted a race t-shirt in their size, made with a high quality wicking material, and are invited to eat lunch at the race, traditionally, a lunch of locally produced hamburgers by the Cattlemen's Association (vegetarian options available).
To learn more, contact 319-645-1011 or email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sturgis Ferry Access1700 S Riverside DrIowa City, IA 52246
- Event Management
- People Skills
- Outdoor Recreation
- Water Recreation
- People 55+
- Varies from 2 hours for some tasks to the full day for jobs such as the photographer and sweeper canoe.