Group Activities Assistant Volunteer
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
12 people are interested
Opportunity: We are looking for volunteers to assist with our group activities to help engage our residents living with dementia. Provide motivation, good humor and a little extra help for those who need it.
Responsibilities: Connect with our residents through activities such as exercises, discussion groups, dancing, specially adapted games (word games, physical games), housework (folding, wiping), simple crafts, sing-a-longs, bingo, art, pet visits, holiday parties and more. Help out with setting up activities, welcoming residents to the group, assisting the Activities Leader with the current activity.
Skills/Qualifications: Must be willing to help others and enjoy talking and visiting with people. Must be willing to interact with people who have a memory impairment. Must treat participants, staff and fellow volunteers with dignity and respect. Must be dependable, patient, and have a good sense of humor.
Lines of Communication: You will work with the Activities Department Staff and the Director of Community Engagement.
Orientation: Volunteers must attend a mandatory 2-hour orientation. Volunteers learn about dementia, communication skills, and dementia activities.
Work Requirements: A negative 2-step TB test is required within one year prior to your volunteer start date. If a 2-step has been completed more than one year before start date, then a 1-step TB test is required within one year of start date. In this case, copies of both the 2-step and 1-step would be required.
Times Available: We work with your schedule! Timeslots available from 9:00 AM-5:00 PM. Minimum time per day is one hour.
Commitment: Volunteers are requested to commit to volunteer a minimum of one time a month.
Volunteer Benefits: Free parking and free lunch!
Contact: Director of Community Engagement, Dorothy Colby, via phone or e-mail if you are interested in applying for this volunteer opportunity. Phone 808-525-6770 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This volunteer opportunity is available at all three of our locations:
Nuuanu * Hale Kūʻike * 95 Kawananakoa Place * Honolulu, HI 96817 * 808-595-6770
Kaneohe * Hale Kūʻike Bayside * 45-212 Kaneohe Bay Drive * Kaneohe, HI 96744 * 808-235-6770
Pali * Hale Kūʻike Pali * 2627 Pali Highway * Honolulu, HI 96817 * 808-525-6770
About Hale Ku'ike
95 Kawananakoa Pl, Honolulu, HI 96817, US
Hale Kūʻike has three long-term residential care homes that specializes in memory care. Located in Nuuanu, Pali and Kaneohe, our homes offer a caring and supportive environment for individuals with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia related illnesses. Our goal is simple: to help change the standard of care for those with memory impairments in Hawaii by serving as a model memory care residence. With extensive local healthcare experience and a commitment to excellence, Hale Kūʻike strives to be on a par with the finest in the nation. The meaning of "Kūʻike" is to understand.
We need you! Your time and energy mean a great deal to our success and support for individuals in our homes that are living with dementia.
Volunteers have the opportunity to engage with residents, The following are examples of day and weekend volunteer opportunities offered, and supported by staff members:
- 1:1 Friendly visits and companionship
- Assist with special events
- Help residents with manicures
- Flower arranging
- Assist or lead art, dance, music, or exercise classes
- Prepare greeting cards for family members
- Dine and socialize with residents
- Sensory stimulation and hand massages
- Program/event set-up
- Reading group/book club
- Bible study
- Assist or lead craft projects
- Sing or play an instrument
- Gardening (raised bed plant and garden care)
- Cooking (prepare snacks and serve food and beverages, coordinate cooking classes)
All volunteers are required to complete an application, interview, and attend orientation and training. A 2-step TB test is also required by the Department of Health.
For questions about volunteering and to acquire an application, please contact Dorothy Colby at 808-595-6770 or email@example.com.
We'll work with your schedule.
Hale Ku'ike95 Kawananakoa PlHonoluluHonolulu, HI 96817
- Elder care
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Times Available: We work with your schedule! Timeslots available from 9:00 AM-5:00 PM. Minimum time per day is two hours. Commitment: Volunteers are requested to commit to volunteer a minimum of two times a month.
- Work Requirements: A negative 2-step TB test is required within one year prior of your volunteer start date is required. If a 2-step has been completed more than one year before start date, then a 1-step TB test is required within one year of start d