Pet Food Pantry Lead Volunteer
12 people are interested
Purpose of the position
The Best Friends Animal Society strives to stop animals from dying in shelters. One of the best ways to do that is by preventing animals from ending up in the shelters to begin with! Our Community Food Pantry provides pet food and supplies to both community cat caregivers, and to low-income pet owners to help support them in keeping community cats healthy and preventing them from needing to relinquish their personal pets. The food pantry lead volunteer shift helps to orchestrate the operation of the food pantry and ensure that each client receives the support they have requested. You will also be leading specific on-site volunteer activities, including weatherproofing outdoor cat shelters and bagging donated cat and dog food.
Reports to the shelter support team
Duties and Essential Functions
- Fill pet food pantry recipients’ food orders
- Move bags of pet food by lifting, carrying, and pushing on a push cart
- Determine amount of food each recipient should receive, based on a chart
- Keep pantry area clean and organized
- Review food requests on the spreadsheet, update computer spreadsheet
- Train and assist volunteers with shelter making
- Mix food in large containers
- Scoop food into bags, weigh, seal, and label
- Restock literature in pantry area
- Prerequisite: Volunteered for a minimum of four Food Pantry Assistance shifts
- Warm, friendly, enthusiastic personality
- Good verbal communication skills
- Fluent in English
- Competent using Windows OS, and spreadsheet programs
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Must be able to stand and walk for the duration of the shift
- Ability to follow specific instructions from staff
Minimum Age Requirement
- Must be at least 18 years of age to volunteer for this position
- Tuesday, 4:00 PM-7:00 PM
- Thursday, 4:00 PM-7:00 PM
- Saturday, 11:00 AM-3:00 PM
Training and Orientation
Volunteers in this role lead and direct the work of volunteers in the community resource assistant role. Food pantry assistants must have volunteered for at least 4 community resource assistant shifts. Additional training will be provided by the shelter support staff during your first few shifts as a pantry assistant.
The shelter support team will be the primary point of contact for volunteers in this role. At least one member of the team will be present during each shift.
If you are interested in volunteering for this position, we will first get you scheduled for some assistant shifts as training. Once you have completed the basic shifts, we can move you up into the lead role.
The food pantry operates out of the Lifesaving Center warehouse, so temperatures will vary based on weather. Weather appropriate clothing is essential. Closed-toe shoes are required.
TO APPLY, PLEASE EMAIL US AT UTAHVOLUNTEER@BESTFRIENDS.ORG
About Best Friends Animal Society Utah
2005 S 1100 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84106, US
The mission of Best Friends is to end the killing in America's animal shelters and create a time when there are No More Homeless Pets. We do this by building community programs and partnerships all across the nation. We believe that by working together we can Save Them All.
Best Friends Animal Society - Utah is working collaboratively with animal rescue groups, city shelters and passionate individuals who are all dedicated to the mission of making Utah a no-kill state. As part of this mission, Best Friends hosts adoption and fundraising events, runs the Best Friends Utah Adoption Center in Sugar House, and leads the NKUT initiative .
We'll work with your schedule.
2005 S 1100 ESalt Lake City, UT 84106
- Data Entry
- Basic Computer Skills
- PC Platform
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Ideally we are looking for someone to come for one four hour shift each week in this role, but opportunities are available for less routine help as well.
- If you are new to volunteering with Best Friends, we will have you train with us to learn the volunteer roles you will be leading.