Health Advocate Volunteer
DONATE TO THIS
9 people are interested
SOME seeks a Volunteer Health Advocate who will support the SOME Medical Clinic staff by providing educational training and health and wellness information to clients. Volunteers may be eligible for a stipend for this ten-month position.
Average weekly hours are Monday - Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm.
- Under general administrative direction, provide patient education related to the client’s illness and planned treatment; assist patients in understanding their diagnosis, treatment options and resources available.
- Develop patient education programs and tools for the clinic and adult housing programs.
- Accompany clients to medical appointments (as needed) and/or recruit volunteers to assist the client in understanding care plan, asking relevant questions, and advocating for his/her medical needs.
- Provide emotional support related to the clinical situation.
- Responsible for outreach effort to establish and maintain positive working relationships with key medical partners; identify systemic barriers to care coordination.
- Participate in interdisciplinary team meetings as necessary.
- Volunteer will NOT administer any medications or vaccinations to any patient.
- Volunteer will NOT provide any type of patient care without immediate supervision and direction by Licensed Healthcare Provider.
- Volunteer will NOT document in patient’s chart without immediate supervision and direction by Licensed
- LPN, RN, or interest in healthcare field, or undergraduate with a healthcare related degree such as Pre-Med, Biology, Public Health, or Social Work
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Able to provide emotional support while maintaining objectivity
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be organized and able to multi-task
- Experience or desire to work with homeless adults with chronic medical concerns.
- Requires problem solving, decision making and critical thinking.
60 O St. NWWashington, DC 20001
- Problem Solving
- Case Work / Management
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- M - F 8a to 4:30p