AmeriCorps In-home Respite Member Volunteer
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
12 people are interested
Big Bend Hospice, a local non-profit agency, inspires hope by positively impacting the way our community experiences serious illness or grief - one family at a time. We provide hospice services using a team approach to care and have been doing so for more than 35 years. Our service area is comprised of Leon, Wakulla, Franklin, Liberty, Jefferson, Madison, Taylor, and Gadsden.
Our AmeriCorps program affords us the opportunity to provide more services, namely in-home respite care, to our veteran and military families and their loved ones. It goes without saying that caregiving is one of the most challenging, yet rewarding experiences anyone called to that line of duty will face. As such, it is our hope that we can support our heroes and their families with some much needed respite care which will enable caregivers to attend to essential family or personal needs and/or events or activities that are vital to personal health and well-being.
We are looking to recruit 24 member volunteers who will be contracted for a year, from September 1st, 2019 until August 31st, 2020. Member volunteers are contracted to provide in-home respite at the rate of 8 - 10 hours a week (or more if you start later than September 2019), for a total of 450 hours over the course of the year. Respite care activities include: active listening with the care recipient, preparing light snacks or lunches, walking or other non-medical ambulatory exercises to maintain mobility, storytelling, journaling, etc... all activities are of a non-medical nature, not requiring the skills or services of medical, therapeutic or other licensed professionals.
For their service, contracted member volunteers will receive:
- a living allowance of $150 a month;
- an Education Award at the end of their service year for successful completion of their hours in the amount of $1,612.43 (persons who are 55 y/o older when they join our AmeriCorps program can pass on their earned scholarship award to a child, grandchild or whichever family member they’d like to gift it to);
- student loan forbearance through AmeriCorps for the duration of their service contract and AmeriCorps will pay the interest on their student loan during the forbearance period;
- professional training, and much more.
We are currently recruiting for the upcoming 2019 - 2020 program year, as such, interested persons are asked to do the following:
- Complete and submit the attached AmeriCorps application;
- Secure copies of all the documents listed on the Required Documents attachment;
- Ensure that two (2) of their professional contacts (i.e. current/past work supervisors, professors, mentors, etc...) complete the attached Reference Form
With the new program year fast approaching, the deadline for submitting the application packet is August 1st, 2019. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions.
AmeriCorps Program Coordinator
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
Big Bend Hospice, Inc.1723 Mahan Center BoulevardTallahassee, FL 32308
- People Skills
- Reading Comprehension
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
- Customer Service
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 year; from September 2019 - August 2020