86 people are interested
Be the change: help a mobile soup kitchen reach homeless neighbors in Berkeley
ORGANIZATION: CONSIDER THE HOMELESS
Please visit the new page to apply.
86 people are interested
It's incredibly rewarding to make a tangible difference in someone's life...and even better when you are right there to see their reaction. Are you ready to see the world through a different lens?
Train with us to become one of our "co-pilots", distributing hot soup, bread and survival supplies *directly* to our unhoused neighbors in Berkeley. It takes two people to distribute soup, bread and survival supplies from our organization's van to people scattered around Berkeley who are living on the streets, in their cars, or in encampments. We reach about 100 people each time we go out, every Sunday and Thursday evening.
- Join other volunteers at our organization headquarters. We operate from a residence that is walking distance from the North Berkeley BART. (We always work in pairs, so you will never be alone.)
- Help load the organization's van with food and supplies.
- Ride in the passenger seat as the van travels around Berkeley locating people in need.
- Distribute soup, bread and a smile to about 100 people, following Consider The Homeless' guidelines.
You will be taught very specific guidelines about how to interact with people in the most respectful way possible. Fundamentally, we are showing people that they are valued and trying to establish a connection through a simple gift (the soup). Always, our priority is to respect the privacy of our sisters and brothers on the streets and everyone's safety during this pandemic. We do not try to learn "their story", nor do we ask them their name or other questions. Instead, we introduce ourselves and try to earn their trust through a friendly, respectful interaction. This is vital in order to be of help in future, and is the core of our philosophy at Consider The Homeless! We try to remember names by offering ours and using theirs when we can.
- Available 1 or more times per month on a Sunday and/or Thursday, 4:45 - 9:45 pm
- Able to get in and out of van repeatedly during your shift
- Willing to follow guidelines for respectful, unobtrusive interactions with people
- Prompt, reliable: we go out rain or shine!
- Note: You do not need to be able to drive nor do you need a vehicle of your own.
What / Who is Consider The Homeless?
We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit, local grassroots organization in Berkeley, CA that is 100% volunteer -- there are no paid staff. All donations directly fund our programs. Consider the Homeless! delivers food and survival supplies to unhoused Berkeley residents living on the street, in their car, or in an encampment. Unlike other services for the homeless, we do not require that people find their way to us. We go to them, and we meet them where they are...literally and figuratively.
We have two primary programs: 1) A mobile soup kitchen that delivers hot, homemade soup with bread and survival supplies in the evening every Thursday and Sunday, rain or shine. 2) During the pandemic, we've also been providing grocery bags of non-perishable, ready-to-eat foods & drinking water to about 80 people on both Mondays and Fridays.
Got questions? Don't hesitate to email Deb at firstname.lastname@example.org
About CONSIDER THE HOMELESS
1349 HEARST AVE, BERKELEY, CA 94702, US
CONSIDER THE HOMELESS! A small yet dedicated group of neighbors and friends who seek to alleviate the suffering of Berkeley’s homeless, our brothers and sisters who are living and sleeping on the streets of our fair city. Our goal is to offer whatever help we can to those living on the streets - beginning with the basic need for food. We strive to warm their bellies and their hearts while offering what we have, with a simple greeting and a smile. There is no hidden agenda. We gain their trust as we respect their privacy and we always treat them with the utmost respect.
Consider The Homeless is a nonprofit, local grassroots organization in Berkeley, CA that is 100% volunteer -- we have no paid staff. We deliver food and survival supplies to unhoused Berkeley residents living on the street, in their car, or in an encampment. Unlike other services for the homeless, we do not require that people find their way to us. We go to them, and we meet them where they are...literally and figuratively. We have two primary programs: 1) A mobile soup kitchen that delivers hot, homemade soup with bread and survival supplies to over a hundred people, every Thursday and Sunday evening, rain or shine. 2) During the pandemic, we've also been providing grocery bags of non-perishable proteins, fruits, other ready-to-eat foods & clean drinking water to about 80 people on both Mondays and Fridays. We call this the "Berkeley Still Cares" program.
PO Box 2771Berkeley, CA 94702
October 3, 2022
- People Skills
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Each "shift" is either on Thursday or Sunday evening. Approximately 4:45 - 9:45 but can vary. No regular commitment required beyond initial training but most volunteers commit to 1 or 2 shifts per month.
- Candidate must be physically able to get in and out of our van multiple times during the shift. And reliably show up in all kinds of weather.