Community Relations/Outreach Intern - OC Waste & Recycle
1 person is interested
OC Waste & Recycling (OCWR) serves the County’s solid waste disposal needs by providing waste management services, protecting the environment and promoting recycling in order to ensure a safe and healthy community for current and future generations.
The Strategic Communications, Educational Outreach division focuses on special events, programs and communications materials. Outreach includes working with regional partners such as Angels Baseball, Anaheim Ducks, Discovery Cube, Inside the Outdoors and Goodwill of Orange County to plan community and collection events and outreach programs that encourage Orange County residents to reduce, reuse, and recycle.
The internship requires an interest in event logistics, confident written and verbal communication skills with knowledge of desktop publishing software. Interns will utilize their marketing and public relations skills to help educate Orange County residents about recycling and waste diversion.
Intern duties/responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide administrative support for educational outreach programs.
- Assist in coordinating community event planning meetings and support follow-up activities.
- Participate in County community events held at Discovery Cube, Angels Baseball Stadium, Anaheim Ducks Honda Center, and special events.
- Collect Quick Tap Survey data to conduct program assessment.
- Collect Ambassador event evaluation forms to assess program needs.
- Assist with the preparation and distribution of correspondence, reports, agendas, and other publications in support of education services activities.
- Assist with the coordination of equipment and merchandise needs for community events.
- Assist in preparing tool box for items needed during community events.
- Track and update inventory of merchandise and community event tool box.
- Help coordinate events with vendors and partners.
This internship is best suited for college students or recent graduates who have completed coursework or gained experience personally or professionally in marketing, public relations, communications, community relations/outreach, public affairs or related fields.
Skills, Training or Qualifications:
Ideal candidates will have sufficient experience or knowledge to perform the following functions:
- Present and interface with diverse audiences, along with compiling data and visuals.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of effective public relations.
- Display a can-do attitude, hard work and team spirit.
- Provide exceptional writing and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently; excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to participate in educational outreach program and special events.
- Good project management, organization and research capabilities.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint and Excel
Minimum 15 - 20 hours per week for three - six months. Hours may be scheduled during normal business hours (Monday - Friday between 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.). Occasional weekend hours may be required for department outreach events. Applicants able to schedule the maximum hours/duration listed for the internship typically gain a more in-depth experience.
Benefits Available to Intern:
Although this is an unpaid internship that does not lead to paid employment or include employee benefits, college students and recent graduates are offered an excellent opportunity to:
- Learn about social media management in the context of a government agency
- Provide significant strategic and creative contributions toward the development of social media activities
- Become familiar with aligning social media tactical efforts in support of various strategic communications objectives
- Fulfill college/university internship requirements
- Build resumes/work history and network with professionals in your field of interest
How to Apply:
Please email resume, cover letter, unofficial transcript and examples of social media knowledge/experience to Jane.Dawson@ocgov.com.
We'll work with your schedule.
300 North Flower StreetSanta Ana, CA 92703
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 18
- 15 - 20 hours per week for 3 or more months
- Internship is intended for college students or recent college grads.