BASIC EDUCATION FOR ADULTS (BEda) Classroom Assistant - Age 55 and over
The BEdA Classroom Assistant is a volunteer position that is dedicated to this non-profitsTacoma Community House’s mission of creating opportunities for immigrants and other community members in the Puget Sound region through comprehensive services focused on self-sufficiency, inclusion and advocacy. This position works alongside the classroom instructor with adult learners that are preparing to take the GED and substantially contributing to students’ development in a personal, meaningful way.
- Volunteer Orientation
- 1:1 training with Classroom Instructor
- Working with Adult Learners (optional)
- 2-4 days/week
- 4 hours/week
- 2 quarters (6 months)
- Assist the instructor with classroom duties
- Work with small groups as directed by the instructor
- Record and report hours spent with students each month
- Meet with the instructor to discuss and evaluate the day’s activities
- Genuine interest in and respect for people with diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Willingness to learn new skills and contribute ideas and energy to the classroom
- Outgoing personality, enjoys conversation
- Patience and sensitivity to the needs of adult students
- Provide direct help to volunteers who are helping the undereducated learn basic skills
- Participate in a successful program with other volunteers
- Add to personal resumes and potential references
- Open opportunities for further training
- 9-10am Math -Basic Algebra to include linear equations (y=2x+b)
- 1-3pm __Linda __Michelle
- 6-8pm __Linda __Karen __Julie __Michelle
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE RSVP (RETIRED AND SENIOR VOLUNTEER PROGRAM)
RSVP (Retired and Senior Volunteer Program) is the nation’s largest network for volunteers age 55 and over. The growing segment of our older population is vital to strengthening our communities through their interest in helping others. As an RSVP volunteer, you are strengthening the positive impact people 55 and older have in our communities. Our focus is to incorporate meaningful volunteer opportunities that provide purpose and a way to give back to the community.
RSVP offers maximum flexibility and choice to its volunteers as it matches their personal interests with opportunities to serve in their communities. In 2016, Pierce County volunteers served 89,000 hours...what a positive effect this has in the community!
Current RSVP volunteer positions include local food banks, congregate meal sites, non-profit thrift stores (shopping assistants, sorters, warehouse assistant, truck assistants, retail assistants, assemble furniture in a fully equipped build shop), administrative/clerical assistants, assisting immigrants, English as a Second Language (ESL), reading/enrichment/tutoring/ mentorship groups and success coaches, gardeners for local non-profit, Russian and Spanish translator for food banks, construction volunteers (no experience required), and Immigration Intern, throughout the Greater Tacoma, Puyallup, Graham and Lakewood area.
We are continually bringing on new and unique volunteer opportunities.
RSVP is sponsored by Lutheran Community Services Northwest, a private, not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of the people it serves.
INTERESTED or have questions? Please email or call and we will mail or email an RSVP application for you to complete. We can get you connected before or after the holidays, just let us know.
We'll work with your schedule.
Tacoma AreaTacoma, WA 98405
- People Skills
- Adult Education
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 55
- Orientation or Training
- Mon-Thur - 9-10am - 1-3pm, 6-8pm
- math - basic algebra (y+2x=b)