Childhood Education + Community Development Volunteer
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
2 people are interested
We are a completely humanitarian, non-denominational, registered nonprofit with one simple motive-to provide opportunity to the vulnerable children and families living in Nkoaranga. Volunteering with TST will mean that you are part of a dedicated global network of people who truly want to make a difference! Childcare volunteers now have a minimum stay of four weeks, as it is too tough for the kids if there are many people in and out, building intense relations with them. Volunteers play an important role in education and have the opportunity to learn about culture in Tanzania, international child welfare + education, and collaborate with and for community members and their families. If you are looking to learn and have an open mind, while still making an impact, this is the opportunity for you.
- Developing engaging activities/creative programs for the children including art, music, yoga, science experiments, day-trips, etc.
- Unique opportunity to volunteer ethically and make a real impact with a small, grassroots organization that is jointly Tanzanian and American run, focused on family preservation and community development!
- Stay a minimum of four weeks, but come any time of the year!
- Gain an opportunity to learn about sustainable community development and childhood education from Tanzanian experts
- Engage and learn from community-based educational agricultural and health projects.
- Highly affordable accommodation fees at only $350 per month/$100 per week and small, flexible fundraising goals with 100% guarantee that all money raised goes directly to our programs and kids, not salaries and administrative costs
- Full time staff support, cultural activities, Swahili lessons, and the opportunity to experience Tanzanian culture in a respectful and engaging manner
- Build relationships with amazing children and contribute to community development in a rural Tanzanian community.
Responsibilities + Opportunities:
- Assist in teaching on weekend community tutoring programs
- Participate in afternoon tutoring and reading programs
- Help out in the daycare to teach English to and play with children ages 3-6
- Creating new activities for kids to learn in both the daycare and with community outreach kids
- Teaching computer and English classes to community members and students
- Engaging with and empowering social enterprise students
Expectations, Required Skills, + Experience:
- Commit 35 hours a week to volunteering in and learning within The Small Things programs
- Experience working with children in some capacity; must have a passion for working with children
- Interest in learning from a small grassroots organization and the communities and people it supports. This is a collaborative, cross-cultural learning and volunteering experience, where volunteers are expected to respect and seek to understand the culture as well as respect fundamental rights, dignity and worth of all people as equal
- Pass a background check or your country's equivalent
- Follow our Child Protection Policy and Code of Conduct at all times
- Participate in fundraising goals
- Be prepared for an adventure of a lifetime while making an impact!
For more information, you can visit our website: www.thesmallthings.org. Then click the "Get Involved" tab, and follow the button for apply. A member of the team will respond within 24 hours. Or, you can send an introductory email about why you would like to volunteer with The Small Things to email@example.com including your CV.
About The Small Things
80 COSEY BEACH AVE APT 4, EAST HAVEN, CT 06512, US
The mission of The Small Things is to provide comprehensive assistance for orphaned or vulnerable children and their families in Nkoaranga Orphanage and Hospital/Usa River, Tanzania, not only in moments of crisis, but with thoughtful and long term plans. Working with the local community, we aim to educate and assist our clients, primarily women and children, in becoming contributing, healthy, active citizens impacting their country and our world.
The Small Things was founded in 2010, and consists of nine board members - Bekka, Megan, Emma, Patty, Kristina, Marie, Dorothy, Bethan and David, who have all spent time at Nkoaranga Orphanage. We are a combination of former volunteers and professionals with relevant experience. Together we have created The Small Things as a vehicle for continuing to address the needs of the orphanage as a whole through long-term investments in education and the staff as well as day-to-day concerns. TST provides an avenue for everyone who cares about these kids to work together to improve their lives. After their volunteer stay is over, TST provides constant updates on the kids, encourages return trips, and raises awareness and funds for ongoing needs and future projects.
We achieve our mission through the operation of three cooperative programs: partnering with the locally run Nkoaranga Orphanage, creating our Children’s Village to house and care for these children after they age out of the orphanage at age 5, and running a community outreach arm to keep children in biological families or reunite them whenever possible.
We'll work with your schedule.
NkoarangaNear Arusha, Arusha Tanzania
- Child Development
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Youth Services
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum four weeks