Science Engagement Catalyst
22 people are interested
Science Engagement Catalysts embody the "Let's Science" attitude of the Maryland Science Center and set in motion guests' experiences with science. From physics experiments, to chemistry activities, to engineering challenges, Science Engagement Catalysts are responsible for bringing science and people together.
- Attract, excite, and encourage guests to participate in scientific experiences
- Facilitate short, hands-on/minds-on activities on a wide variety of STEM topics
- May also assist presenters with science shows, either by helping distribute materials within the audience, or performing part of a short demonstration (speaking not required)
- Be a resource for guests' questions and provide good general guest service
- Comfortable and enthusiastic with many different STEM fields
- Friendly and conversant with guests of all ages and able to handle various sized groups
- Ability to communicate effectively and observe safety protocols
- Ability to be on your feet for extended periods with some bending and kneeling
Training: Training will be provided by the Education Department's Public Program staff. Some generalized training in facilitation and safety will be provided initially. Training on specific activities and shows will happen on an ongoing basis thereafter.
Schedule: Science Engagement Catalysts must commit to a regular shift on the same day and time of the week. Science Engagement Catalysts can be scheduled for one shift per week for a duration of at least three months, or one shift every other week for a duration of at least six months.
9:30 AM-2:00 PM Tuesday through Friday, year-round
11:45 AM-4:00 PM Saturday and Sunday, year-round
9:30 AM-2:00 PM Monday, spring and summer only
Minimum Commitment: Two shifts per month.
Visit http://www.marylandsciencecenter.org/volunteer for more information and to get a volunteer application. All volunteers must submit an application, and volunteer appointments are by interview only. All applicants (over the age of 18) must complete a background check and orientation session, prior to volunteering.
We'll work with your schedule.
601 Light StreetBaltimore, MD 21230
- People Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Customer Service
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- See description for time commitment specifics.