Science Engagement Catalyst
24 people are interested
Science Engagement Catalysts embody the "Let's Science" attitude of the Maryland Science Center and set in motion guests' experiences with science. From physics experiments, to chemistry activities, to engineering challenges, Science Engagement Catalysts are responsible for bringing science and people together.
- Attract, excite, and encourage guests to participate in scientific experiences
- Facilitate short, hands-on/minds-on activities on a wide variety of STEM topics
- May also assist presenters with science shows, either by helping distribute materials within the audience, or performing part of a short demonstration (speaking not required)
- Be a resource for guests' questions and provide good general guest service
- Comfortable and enthusiastic with many different STEM fields
- Friendly and conversant with guests of all ages and able to handle various sized groups
- Ability to communicate effectively and observe safety protocols
- Ability to be on your feet for extended periods with some bending and kneeling
Training: Training will be provided by the Education Department's Public Program staff. Some generalized training in facilitation and safety will be provided initially. Training on specific activities and shows will happen on an ongoing basis thereafter.
Schedule: Science Engagement Catalysts must commit to a regular shift on the same day and time of the week. Science Engagement Catalysts can be scheduled for one shift per week for a duration of at least three months, or one shift every other week for a duration of at least six months.
9:30 AM-2:00 PM Tuesday through Friday, year-round
11:45 AM-4:00 PM Saturday and Sunday, year-round
9:30 AM-2:00 PM Monday, spring and summer only
Minimum Commitment: Two shifts per month.
Visit http://www.marylandsciencecenter.org/volunteer for more information and to get a volunteer application. All volunteers must submit an application, and volunteer appointments are by interview only. All applicants (over the age of 18) must complete a background check and orientation session, prior to volunteering.
About Maryland Science Center
601 Light Street, Baltimore, MD 21230, US
We are the Maryland Science Center. We inspire. We empower. We engage. Let's science.
The Maryland Academy of Sciences is Maryland's oldest scientific institution and one of the oldest such institutions in the entire nation. At its inception in 1797, the Academy was an amateur scientific society - members met to discuss papers on astronomy, botany, zoology, and other subjects then known as the "natural sciences."
As the Academy continued its work through the 1800s and 1900s, the group searched for a permanent location to establish a space dedicated to interactive, hands-on learning. The vision became a reality with the opening of the Academy's Maryland Science Center in 1976.
Today, and for more than 40 years, the Maryland Academy of Sciences, through its programs and exhibits at the Maryland Science Center, has demonstrated a commitment to emphasize the importance of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). No other institution in the state reaches more teachers and students through onsite and outreach programming.
The Maryland Science Center invites you to join our Volunteer Program and celebrate science!
We'll work with your schedule.
601 Light StreetBaltimore, MD 21230
- People Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Customer Service
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- See description for time commitment specifics.