Lynchburg - road trip with Best Friends to save lives!
DONATE TO THIS
11 people are interested
Assist the Best Friends Transport Coordinator in picking up adoptable cats and dogs originating from Best Friends Atlanta and transporting them to a Best Friends Network Partner in the Northeast for adoption. This portion of the transport will typically begin in Lynchburg, VA or Richmond, VA.
- Lynchburg, VA and surrounding areas
Time Commitment and Location of Work:
- Transports occur approximately twice per month, year round. Commit to at least 1-2 transports per year.
- Up to 3 days travel time, round trip. Generally it will be two days.
- Days and times of travel will vary.
- This position involves approximately 12 - 16 hours of driving time depending on transport location.
- Safely and successfully drive the Best Friends transport van (alternating every few hours with staff driver) from the vicinity of Lynchburg, VA to a Network Partner farther North. Locations will vary, some examples are Vermont, Maine, Pennsylvania and New York.
- Assist with unloading of all animals and paperwork from the van upon arrival at the final destination.
- Cleaning crates during transport. This may include changing out soiled bedding and paper and/or walking dogs at a stop.
- Some transports will require an overnight stay (lodging and meal per diem is provided).
- Drive the empty van back to the Lynchburg, VA vicinity
- Help the Transport Coordinator clean out the crates and van once back in Lynchburg, VA.
- Track and input total transport hours worked into the volunteer database
- Successful completion of transport volunteer safety training
- Must be at least 21 years of age with satisfactory driving record
- Proof of valid/current driver’s license & insurance; ability to be added to Best Friends vehicle insurance
- Must be able to safely drive and work in all weather conditions
- Must be able to bend, stoop, walk, kneel, and lift
- Must be able to lift at least 30 pounds at a time
- Dog and cat handling experience is a plus
About Best Friends Animal Society
5001 Angel Canyon Rd., Kanab, UT 84741, US
Every day, more than 5,500 dogs and cats are killed in America's shelters. But every day, there's something all of us can do to help save those animals. Together, we can Save Them All.
About Best Friends Animal Society:
Best Friends Animal Society is the only national animal welfare organization focused exclusively on ending the killing of dogs and cats in America's shelters. An authority and leader in the no-kill movement since its founding in 1984, Best Friends runs the nation's largest no-kill sanctuary for companion animals, as well as life-saving programs in partnership with rescue groups and shelters across the country. Since its founding, Best Friends has helped reduce the number of animals killed in shelters from 17 million per year to 1.5 million. Best Friends has the knowledge, technical expertise and on-the-ground network to end the killing and Save Them All(tm).
Become a fan of Best Friends Animal Society on:
Follow Best Friends on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bestfriends
We'll work with your schedule.
variesLynchburg, VA 24505
- Truck Driving
- Animal Care / Handling
- Bus/Van Driving
- Transportation Management
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 1 - 2 long haul transports a year
- Driving check