Virginia, road trip with Best Friends to save animals
DONATE TO THIS
8 people are interested
Assist the Best Friends Transport Coordinator in picking up adoptable cats and dogs originating from Best Friends Atlanta and transporting them to a Best Friends Network Partner in the Northeast for adoption. This portion of the transport will typically begin in Lynchburg, VA.
- Lynchburg, VA and surrounding areas
Time Commitment and Location of Work:
- Transports occur approximately twice per month, year round. Commit to at least 1-2 transports per year.
- Up to 3 days travel time, round trip. Generally it will be two days.
- Days and times of travel will vary.
- This position involves approximately 12 - 16 hours of driving time depending on transport location.
- Safely and successfully drive the Best Friends transport van (alternating every few hours with staff driver) from the vicinity of Lynchburg, VA to a Network Partner farther North. Locations will vary, some examples are Vermont, Maine, Pennsylvania and New York.
- Assist with unloading of all animals and paperwork from the van upon arrival at the final destination.
- Cleaning crates during transport. This may include changing out soiled bedding and paper and/or walking dogs at a stop.
- Some transports will require an overnight stay (lodging and meal per diem is provided).
- Drive the empty van back to the Lynchburg, VA vicinity
- Help the Transport Coordinator clean out the crates and van once back in Lynchburg, VA.
- Track and input total transport hours worked into the volunteer database
- Successful completion of transport volunteer safety training
- Must be at least 21 years of age with satisfactory driving record
- Proof of valid/current driver’s license & insurance; ability to be added to Best Friends vehicle insurance
- Must be able to safely drive and work in all weather conditions
- Must be able to bend, stoop, walk, kneel, and lift
- Must be able to lift at least 30 pounds at a time
- Dog and cat handling experience is a plus
We'll work with your schedule.
variesLynchburg, VA 24505
- Truck Driving
- Animal Care / Handling
- Bus/Van Driving
- Transportation Management
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 1 - 2 long haul transports a year
- Driving check