MAIN GALLERY at 81 Chestnut, Wyandotte
The Downriver Council for the Arts’ Gallery Committee volunteers possesses a love and appreciation of art, a flexible attitude, and a winning personality, all of which increases the success of our exhibit space. The Gallery Committee is open to anyone interested in promoting the arts by their active participation.
Committee members meet monthly, typically the second Thursday at 11:15 a.m. in the gallery, to deliberate and vote on items relating to the operation and use of the gallery space, increase exposure as a strong element within the community, and provide a well-balanced visual arts program for the community.
The purpose of the DCA Gallery Committee is to promote appreciation of the visual arts by exposing the community to a variety of artistic exhibits. This is accomplished through various forms of programming including exhibits, art classes, and workshops intended to illuminate new perspectives. Providing the community audience with pertinent visual art interests is a main goal of the Gallery Committee.
The responsibilities can include:
- Participate in monthly meetings
- Curate exhibitions and ideas
- Assist with hanging and taking down exhibits
- Set-up, attend, and clean-up for receptions
- Greet guests on opening nights and other events
- Recruit other gallery committee members
- Recruit artists to participate in DCA exhibits and become members
- Establish, plan and partake in gallery fundraisers
- Collaborate on programming related to exhibits to provide more exposure for artists
- Other endeavors undertaken by the Gallery Committee
- Give adequate time and energy to the duties required
SATELLITE GALLERIES located in the Downriver area
The Downriver Council for the Arts is committed to connecting art to the community, and another way we accomplish this is by providing off-site exhibit space in unexpected places. Curating in non-traditional spaces provides new opportunities for people to engage with work outside of the context of our gallery, opening this creative engagement to a broader audience. The DCA works with venues ranging from hospitals, restaurants, churches, municipalities and more in several different communities to offer exhibition opportunities to local artists. Typically, these exhibits run for a period of 2 -3 months and are installed by members of the DCA Gallery Committee with assistance from the artist(s) and volunteers.
This is an unpaid volunteer position; however, it can also equate to an internship with exchanged hours worked for university credit. We would be happy to make arrangements to accommodate this.
- Exhibition Arts
- Visual Arts
- Arts Administration
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 16
- 5-10 hours a month. Flexible.