Join our team!
Looking for an exciting volunteer opportunity? Check out Carnegie Science Center's upcoming Volunteer Fair!
April 19, 2018 (10 am - noon)
RSVP by Monday, April 16 to VolunteerPrograms@CarnegieScienceCenter.org
April 22, 2018 (1 - 3 pm)
RSVP by Thursday, April 19 to VolunteerPrograms@CarnegieScienceCenter.org
Carnegie Science Center seeks outgoing, proactive individuals for volunteer positions within the museum. Engage visitors in our new PPG SCIENCE PAVILION(tm) when the traveling art exhibition, The Art of the Brick, opens this summer in our new Scaife Exhibit Gallery. This inspiring art exhibit, on display through January 7, 2019, features more than 100 sculptures made entirely of LEGO(r) bricks!
This unique volunteering opportunity will last from June 2018 to January 2019. Hours of operation are Sunday-Saturday from 10 am-5 pm, with summer Thursday hours from 10 am-7 pm. This position requires long periods of standing and some extended hours at the beginning and end of the exhibit's engagement.
Ideal candidates will:
- Assist in facilitating hands-on activities
- Interact with guests of all ages to create memories that will last a lifetime
- Promote commitment to the Science Center's vision, mission, and values
- Demonstrate excellent customer service
Volunteers and interns are vital members of Carnegie Science Center team. We are happy to offer the following benefits to our volunteers and interns who have met the mandatory requirements. You are eligible for benefits only during your volunteer/internship experience.
- Free admission to Carnegie Science Center for you and your immediate family (6 people)
- Member rates for Rangos Cinema movies for you and your immediate family
- Member rates to laser shows for you and your immediate family
- Free parking in CSC parking lot during scheduled volunteer shifts
- 20% discount at Riverview Café
- $1.00 off menu items at The Rangos Cinema concession stand
- $0.25 coffee at The Rangos Cinema concession stand when you bring a reusable cup
- Free coffee, tea, and treats at the Volunteer Appreciation Corner in the Volunteer Office
- Free admission to the other three Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh for you and your immediate family (with photo ID badge)
- Reduced parking rate in the Oakland parking lot
- 10% discount at other museums food services
- 20% discount on membership to the museums, including gift memberships
- 20% discount in all Carnegie Museum stores
- Recognition pins and letters of recommendation
Experience with children, education, theater, or science is preferred.
This is a volunteer position. Hours of operation are Sunday-Saturday from 10 am - 5 pm, with summer Thursday hours from 10 am - 7 pm. Volunteers will typically work 4 hours/week during the run of the exhibit.
The following PA Act 153 clearances, or proof of application of clearances, are required prior to beginning employment and as a condition of continued employment:
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check
- FBI Fingerprint Criminal Background Check
If you would like more information about clearances, please visit http://keepkidssafe.pa.gov/clearances/index.htm
Carnegie Museums is an EEO-1 Affirmative Action Employer-M/F/Veteran/Disability.
To learn more, please email VolunteerPrograms@CarnegieScienceCenter.org
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Fab Lab Educational Internship...
- Interactive Exhibits Intern...
- Volunteer Engagement and Special...
- Presenter, Science Theaters -...
- Group Experience Internship...
- BodyStage - Anatomy/Biology...
- Carnegie Science Center...
- Fab Lab Technical Intern...
- Marketing Internship (Unpaid) -...
- Education Intern, Science...
- Miniature Railroad & Village...
- Animal and Habitat Internship...
- Classes & Sleepovers Education...
- BodyStage - Nutrition Internship...
- XPLOR Store Internship (Unpaid)...