Communications and Marketing Director - Orange County
DONATE TO THIS
13 people are interested
ChickTech OC is seeking go-getters on the ground in Orange County to continue to grow our chapter and support the tech industry in Orange County. Are you passionate about empowering women & girls in technology? Are you a motivator of people and a get things done kind of person? Are you comfortable in making tough decisions? Do you have a learning mindset? Unafraid of work? Then consider helping us!
ChickTech Orange County is recruiting for a Communications and Marketing Director. This is a leadership position that can be shared with another individual, however candidates must be willing to take on the position on their own and assist with the recruitment of a co-lead if one is wanted.
This role is responsible for growing and sustaining the chapter through clear, timely, and effective communications through our community and various digital channels. Our growth and financial sustainability is reliant on effective promotion of our events and work and it is critical that person(s) in this role can meet deadlines.
This volunteer opportunity could be for you if you have/are:
- Current or previous full-time work experience
- Currently employed (business owners are welcome!)
- Experience leading a team of people
- Prior experience with Social Media Marketing and Event Promotion
- Willing to go out into the community to promote events
- Demonstrated experience in meeting deadlines and an understanding that missing deadlines impacts our chapter financially
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- An entrepreneurial and solution-oriented mindset
- Sales, Business Development, or Fundraising Experience
- The ability to understand "What’s in it for others"
- Understanding or willingness to learn about the nuances of the OC Tech Community
- Strong work ethic, appreciation for work, and a demonstrated understanding that there is no work beneath anybody.
- Ability to stretch a dollar and appreciation that money "Doesn’t grow on trees"
Communications and Marketing Team Director(s) will recruit and lead a team of volunteers for their group. This role will have the following requirements and responsibilities:
- Leadership Team Responsibilities
- Commit to a one-year term
- Have 8-10 hours/week availability
- Sign a leadership team agreement describing leadership team expectations and responsibilities
- Be an external voice for ChickTech
- Attend monthly virtual or in-person leadership team meetings
- Oversee Communications and Marketing Team with meetings held once a month alternating between in-person and online meetings.
- Chapter Development
- Assist with the long-term sustainability of the chapter by meeting a Chapter Development goal.
- Find opportunities to promote our work, volunteers, and impact in the community
- Demonstrate an understanding of the unique needs of our members, chapter, and other stakeholders.
- Find and incubate strategic partnerships and relationships with organizations, schools, and businesses
- Oversee that volunteers that report to this role are making progress towards achieving their Chapter Development Goal and enforcing our Chapter Development policy.
- Event Promotion
- Advertise chapter events on our Social Media pages (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr, and Meetup) on a timely basis.
- Ensure promotion and marketing is done in accordance with the national branding guidelines
- Come up with creative ways and target audiences who may benefit from our programs
- Create collateral such as flyers, graphics to promote our events
- Purchase promotional materials/supplies as needed
- Community Outreach
- Marketing and Communications team members are expected to attend events in order to determine best practices for marketing them effectively. If you cannot or will not attend events in person, do not apply
- Take photos of our events and publish on our social media channels
- Coordinate with website and newsletter volunteer to create bi-weekly newsletter
- Identify opportunities to promote our chapter such as news stories, speaking opportunities, exhibit tables at events
- Ensure chapter website is up to date
- Graphic design and creation of marketing collateral including copy and graphics.
What’s in It for You:
- An opportunity to lead a growing organization and change lives for Women and Girls in Orange County
- The ability to build and strengthen your leadership skills outside of a traditional work setting.
- Opportunities to network and build relationships in the OC Tech Industry
- Opportunities to network on a national level with leaders of our sister chapters across the globe
- Business growth and development experience
- Invitations to speak at events, serve on other leadership and advisory boards
- Volunteer Appreciation Events
- Free Admission to our ChickTech Careers Events
Please read carefully. Applications that do not complete all steps will not be considered:
If you are interested, fill our our Volunteer Application here: https://airtable.com/shrmfeOTpwr0qfHk5
Submit a cover letter to Christine Cunliffe at firstname.lastname@example.org detailing the following:
- Your understanding of ChickTech and what problems we try to solve
- Your understanding of this role and how this role will influence the problems we try to solve in question 1.
- Your interest and qualifications for this role
- What ChickTech events you have attended or volunteered at (mandatory for consideration for this role. If you have not attended a ChickTech event, you cannot apply until you have done so)
Please include a copy of your resume in your email.
If you are looking to take on this role for the sole purpose of adding it to your resume, don’t apply. We expect that the right person for this role will take the initiative to learn about us first (e.g. attend our events, be an active volunteer) and only after doing so, provide solution-oriented suggestions for growth and improvement. You will be asked to participate in 1-2 interviews with other Orange County leadership team members.
Expect about a 4-8 week onboarding process. During that time you will be introduced to our chapter and expected to learn the ins and outs of not only our Chapter, but the OC Tech Community as well as our peer organizations. In particular, we will be looking at your ability to meet critical deadlines and pick up the slack if a volunteer on your team misses a deadline.
We will have you lead initiatives to expose you to the values and processes of our chapter and make sure you are willing to do the necessary work. You will also be required to learn our Chapter Development process and make progress towards your Chapter Development Goal before becoming part of the leadership team.
We'll work with your schedule.
Orange CountyIrvine, CA 92618
- Social Media / Blogging
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Orientation or Training
- 8-10 hours per week
- In order to ensure our chapter's financial sustainability in the future, all volunteers are required to assist with Chapter Development.