4 people are interested
Work on a team to facilitate the running of The Shed, a maker space exhibit geared towards children in second grade and above. Interact with children, their families, and school groups as they learn by doing. Engage groups with fun, hands-on STEAM activities and support the daily operation of this makerspace.
- Support children’s learning through exploring hands-on activities
- Assist in prototyping program components
- Provide excellent customer service
- Assist with cleaning, maintenance, and repair tasks within The Shed
- Experience working with young children in a group setting
- Friendly, pleasant demeanor; at ease with people of all ages
- Experience and/or interest in at least one of the following areas: wood working with hand or power tools, electronics and soldering, hand or machine sewing, making molds and casting various materials. If you have some other handy skill, please let us know!
- Ability to stand for periods of time up to one hour
- Ability to work with children at their eye level (i.e. ability to get onto floor and get up again)
- Ability to lift up to fifty pounds
Training: Provided by Shed Staff and DIY Manager
Schedule: 4-hour shifts are available Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, or Fridays. Volunteers must be able to commit to two 4-hour shifts per month.
Please visit marylandsciencecenter.org for more information and an application form. All volunteers must submit an application, and volunteer appointments are by interview only. all applicants (over the age of 18) must complete a background check and orientation session, prior to volunteering.
We'll work with your schedule.
601 Light StreetBaltimore, MD 21230
- People Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Two 4-hr. shifts per month for 6 mos. or more.