To ensure you receive a response for your application and continue receiving our emails for further communication, please add ''email@example.com" to your address book or safe list.
- This is an unpaid volunteer opportunity and Project leaders are expected to put in a minimum of 8 hours a week and be responsive to emails within 36 hours.
- Project Leaders must be willing to attend to weekly/bi-weekly meetings as and when required.
ABOUT THE EDUCATION GROUP
The Education Group is part of Save the WaterTM (STW)’s Public Awareness efforts. We design educational materials to inform concerned citizens about water contamination and what they can do to help. Our content is distributed through the STW(tm) website and our Day in the Life of a Scientist (DILOSTM) STEM Classroom Workshop. Through education, we aim to arm our readers to be agents of environmental and social change so that we may preserve our water sources for generations to come.
- Support the Education Group by leading a team of volunteers in designing classroom workshops for Save the Water(tm)’s "Day in the Life of a Scientist" (DILOS(tm)) STEM Program, which teaches concepts in water education, contamination, and research.
- Topics include, but are not limited to:
- Exploring science with children
- Universal design in science education
- Water pollution hotspots
- Water use and conservation
- Life in a drop of water
- Design STEM workshops, presentations, and demonstrations
- Identify fun, interactive classroom activities suitable for MS/HS students.
- Create engaging presentations and demonstrations.
- Write teaching scripts to guide staff instructors in implementing the program.
- Adapt classroom materials to be uploaded onto website when needed.
- Assist in writing supporting educational documents when needed.
- Lead a Team
- Manage on average 3-4 volunteers and hold them accountable for their work.
- Execute project plans by assigning and following up on tasks.
- Be the bridge of communications between your team and the Associate Director.
- Provide assistance and mentorship to volunteers through a design process.
- Plan and conduct monthly sub-team meetings, including sending agenda, taking meeting minutes, and follow up.
- Assist DILOS STEM Operations Team in identifying staff instructors and securing needed supplies.
- Assist Associate Director in identifying and contacting possible sponsors for the program and implementing fundraising initiatives.
- Assist Associate Director in identifying targets for project plans.
- Deliver project updates at monthly Education Group meeting.
- Provide monthly report of your team’s progress to the President, Vice President, and Director of Education.
- Demonstrated experience teaching STEM subjects as a classroom instructor or tutor
- Previous experience developing and creating STEM curricula for the classroom
- Excellent content writing skills (grammar, punctuation, etc.)
- Knowledge of Common Core and other state-specific standards for STEM subjects
- Understanding of basic scientific equipment (e.g. microscopes, pH meter, test strips)
- Previous laboratory experience in academic/industrial research a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree in STEM field (e.g. Environmental Science, Physical Sciences, Engineering, or other related fields) and/or Education a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects and details simultaneously.
- Effective oral communication skills and ability to work cooperatively with staff.
- Innovative thinker who is passionate about our cause.
- In touch with current school age trends.
- Current residence in Miami-Dade, Broward County, Florida a plus, but not necessary
- Continuous access to the internet is required- as a virtual organization, we rely on multiple Google platforms (e.g. Gmail, Hangouts, Calendar, and Drive) to support our workflow and communication.
- Availability during US Eastern Time Zone is preferred
How to apply:
Please include a 1-2 page writing sample that exemplifies your ability to teach an academic topic, preferably in a STEM field. This sample can be an excerpt from an essay or report. Educational materials produced for the classroom are a plus. Please submit the above along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you!
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
- Teaching / Instruction
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- minimum of 8 hours a week and be responsive to emails within 36 hours.
- Social Media Associate: Content...
- Education Associate: DILOS STEM...
- Technology Associate Director,...
- Marketing Project Leader: Email...
- Technology Associate Director, ...
- Fundraising Associate Director:...
- Education Project Leader: DILOS...
- Social Media Project Leader:...
- Fundraising Project Leader:...
- Technology Associate: Webmaster...
- HR Associate: Recruitment...
- Publishing Associate: SEO...
- Technology Associate: UX...
- Social Media Associate: Design...
- Fundraising Associate : Annual...
- Marketing Project Leader:...
- Marketing Project Leader:...
- Social Media Associate Director:...
- Research & Engineering Project...
- Technology Project Leader: UX...