Do you know American Sign Language and want to make a difference in your community?! Promote healthy reading habits using ASL in our Family Literacy program!
The Words Alive Family Literacy Program (FLP) is designed to empower families to become their own advocates for literacy by providing them with the knowledge and tools necessary to developing healthy reading habits and engaging their children with a book in hand.
Families attend a once weekly workshop for seven weeks, receiving approximately 10 hours of parent education focused on early childhood growth with an emphasis on literacy development in preschool age children. Each workshop includes an information session and skill building exercises for parents, group story time, and guided activities for parents and children.
We are looking for a volunteer who is willing to work closely with a single deaf family to translate the educational information presented by the workshop facilitator using ASL.
Goals and outcomes:
Family Literacy volunteers will ensure participants have a constructive, encouraging, and engaging training atmosphere.
Family Literacy Program Support Volunteers will be tasked with the following:
- Translate the information presented by the workshop facilitator using ASL
- Participate in planned group activities with parents and children during workshop sessions
- Help parents complete post program evaluations, if needed
Ideal volunteers would:
- Be conversationally fluent in American Sign Language
- Have experience/enjoy working with preschool age children and/or knowledge of early child development
- Have experience and/or knowledge of literacy development
- Have experience/enjoy working with parents
- Be a good listener and responsive to parent questions
- Able to sit on the floor and move freely with children
- Have reliable transportation
Hours and location:
Program sessions will take place Thursday afternoons 12:00-1:30pm, for seven consecutive weeks starting April 12 and running through May 24. Volunteers will need to commit, at minimum, to 12 hours over the course of eight weeks, approximately 1.5 hours a week.
Required Paperwork and training:
Volunteers will need to submit a completed application, submit a negative TB test, and complete a background check.
Background check is free of charge and training is provided.
- American Sign Language
- Literacy / Reading
- People Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 12 hours over 8 weeks
- Volunteer application and negative TB test