Tutor Refugee Adults in English with Heartland Alliance
42 people are interested
About: Heartland Alliance’s Vocational English Language Training (VELT) program provides a comfortable place for adult refugees from around the world to learn and practice English so they can gain confidence and participate more fully in their community and at work. Tutors provide classroom assistance in four levels of English and one-on-one or small group tutoring to help adult refugees improve their basic reading, writing, and speaking skills. Tutors will receive free tutor training before they begin.
Good match for: Anyone who wants to play a vital role in empowering refugee adults with the language skills necessary to be successful in the US. Experience tutoring literacy and/or English as a Second Language are a plus!
Where: 4419 N Ravenswood, Chicago, IL 60640
Time commitment and requirements:
- Provide classroom assistance and one-on-one or small group tutoring in the mornings and afternoons during the week. Volunteers are especially needed during class times: 9:00 to 12:15, Monday to Friday.
- Attend a 12-hour pre-service tutor training.
- Conduct an observation of classroom instruction before starting and meet with VELT teachers after to ensure a good fit.
- Volunteer for at least 2 hours a week for 6 months.
- Be enthusiastic about working people from diverse backgrounds!
We'll work with your schedule.
4419 N Ravenswood AveChicago, IL 60640
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- At least 2 hours a week, with a 6 month commitment
- Attend a new volunteer orientation and pre-service tutor training