Zoo Aide- Husbandry
2 people are interested
Utah’s Hogle Zoo’s Volunteer Zoo Aide program is designed to give an individual the opportunity to learn about the animal world, its ecology and conservation, make new friends, develop new skills and contribute to the quality of life in our community. Our Zoo Aide Volunteer program offers opportunities to support husbandry activities in animal areas. You will not have physical contact with animals.
Volunteer Manager and Assigned Area Mentor
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Zoo Aide volunteers support animal care staff in many husbandry aspects. Duties include but are not limited to:
- preparation of diets
- cleaning of exhibit spaces
- assisting keepers in approved activities
- assist with the animal behavior and enrichment program
NOTE: There is no contact with the animals, although volunteers work in close proximity and can study their behavior.
Zoo Aides must be interested in and care about animals, nature, and conservation. They must have the ability to closely follow instructions and be physically capable of performing strenuous work. Because of the nature of working close to a variety of animals, Zoo Aides need to demonstrate maturity, self-motivation, and an ability to follow direction.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must provide authorization of background check.
- Must attend mandatory trainings
- There is an annual volunteer fee of $20 (Note: financial assistance is available.)
SCHEDULE AND TIME COMMITMENT
Zoo Aides must commit to one four-hour shift a week on the same day. The shifts are from 8am-Noon. This commitment must be maintained for a minimum of 1 year.
PHYSICAL DEMAND AND SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
This position requires long periods of standing and walking. This position requires exposure to the elements such as heat, cold, rain, and snow.
All volunteers at Utah’s Hogle Zoo are considered non-paid employees. Benefits include discounts on food and gifts and volunteer recognition events and parties.
THE VOLUNTEER DEPARTMENT WILL:
- Maintain records for active volunteers.
- Ensure adequate training and supervision is provided.
- Issue volunteers a uniform and name tag.
- Provide ongoing support and assistance with volunteer/staff relationships.
- Administer volunteer benefits.
- Provide a written reference which will include hours of service, tenure, and job description when requested.
Please submit an application at: https://www.hoglezoo.org/jobs_volunteers/volunteers/zoo_aides/
Utah’s Hogle Zoo is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive volunteer program representative of a variety of backgrounds, age groups, perspectives, experiences, abilities, and strengths.
About Utah's Hogle Zoo
2600 E Sunnyside Ave, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, US
Utah's Hogle Zoo nurtures respect and appreciation for the natural world by providing diverse educational, recreational, and conservation opportunities. This is accomplished through imaginative exhibits and programs, professional animal care, and a commitment to excellence.
Utah’s Hogle Zoo’s 42-acres are located in Salt Lake City, Utah at the mouth of Emigration Canyon. It houses a wide variety of mammals, reptiles, birds and other animals from diverse ecosystems around the world. Our goal is to increase understanding of, and responsibility for, local and global animal species and ecosystems
There are more than 2,000 USDA licensed wildlife exhibitors in the US but less than 10% of them have been accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums ( AZA). Hogle Zoo is one of that 10%, which means that it is recognized as being one of the best zoos in the world. Hogle Zoo is also a member of the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums ( WAZA)
We'll work with your schedule.
2600 Sunnyside AveSALT Lake City, UT 84108
- Animal Care / Handling
- Environmental Education
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Zoo Aides must commit to one four-hour shift a week on the same day. The shifts are from 8am-Noon. This commitment must be maintained for a minimum of 1 year.
- • Must be at least 18 years of age • Must provide authorization of background check. • Must attend mandatory trainings • There is an annual volunteer fee of $20 (Note: financial assistance is available.)