We seek an enthusiastic individual looking to gain experience in digital storytelling, marketing, and social media at a non-profit serving over 500,000 visitors a year in sparking children’s learning through play. The intern will be responsible for assisting the external relations department with content creation including social media and communications at Minnesota Children’s Museum. Responsibilities include producing web video for the Museum’s blog, an e-newsletter and other owned digital channels and assisting with the execution of a content (editorial) calendar. This includes shooting and editing video and conceiving video stories that support the #PlayMoreMN movement and/or digital photography. The position also includes collecting analytics from owned social media channels and MCM.org, conducting market research and analysis, assisting with promotional and sales opportunities, and assisting with marketing plans.
Major Job Accountabilities
The exact duties and projects will be determined by mutual agreement of the intern and museum staff. All duties will be carried out with the direction and supervision of the External Relations department.
- Creating content for owned channels
- photos and video for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube
- Researching as directed
- Executing content calendar
- Promotions & partnerships
- material/collateral fulfillment including mailings
- includes list management/clean up
- communications with key partners to ensure fulfillment of partnership
- includes securing additional member benefits
- compiling, analyzing & reporting on admission data
- includes coupon redemption tracking
- keyword research for AdWord campaigns
- build, monitor and analyze AdWord campaigns
- assist with coordination and day-of-event duties as needed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability and willingness to work independently.
- Strong writing (copywriting) and proof reading skills with an eye for detail.
- Formal education in related field (marketing, communications, journalism) or related experience.
- Ability to organize time, follow directions and complete tasks in an effective manner.
- Ability to interpret and analyze data.
- Knowledge of branding, logos and target audiences.
- Ability to work well with people.
- Computer skills, including MS Office Suite and Google Drive
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Experience in one or more of the following (please indicate this is your application):
- Long-form blog platforms
- Graphic design software
- Social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter
- Video capture and editing
- Intern orientation
- Policies and practices of communications in a nonprofit cultural institution
- Optional free trainings: The Ways of Play
Please include the following with your application:
- LinkedIn profile
- Portfolio of volunteer and/or professional experience relevant to the position you are applying for.
- This includes photography, videos, published written work and links to public social media accounts that you contribute to.
Applications accepted until positions are filled. 2-3 interns needed. Submit cover letter, resume, and online application at
- Technical Writing
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Social Media / Blogging
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Public Relations
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 100 hours
- 10-12 per week
- Summer Marketing Video Intern
- Summer Alumni Relations Intern
- Summer Recruitment & Onboarding...
- Summer Museum Educator Intern -...
- Summer Membership & Event...
- Summer Integrated Communications...
- Play Docent
- Summer Museum Experience...
- Studio Assistant - Creative...
- Volunteer to Play!
- Summer Exhibit Fabrication Intern
- Summer Family Learning Intern
- Summer Digital Media Intern
- Summer Museum Educator Intern -...
- Summer Youth Development Intern
- Research Volunteer Pool
- Summer Costume Design& Props...
- Helping Hand Volunteer
- Summer Traveling Exhibit...