This position is primarily responsible for caring for the plant and nature materials in the outdoor galleries and delivering nature-based programming the Museum. These activities include but are not limited to: facilitating drop-in outdoor and nature activities in the Museum’s outdoor galleries and assisting with special events or presenters onsite. Other responsibilities include assisting with daily museum gallery experiences, and working behind the scenes to ensure that gallery and program supplies are prepared and well maintained.
Major Job Accountabilities
This is an estimate of the duties to be included in the internship. The exact duties and projects will be determined by mutual agreement of the intern and museum staff. All duties will be carried out with the direction and supervision of Museum Experience staff.
- Maintain plants and nature materials in outdoor and indoor galleries
- Facilitate nature programs following Museum best practices and program write-ups
- Develop and prototype nature programming
- Monitor and maintain program materials, supplies and program spaces throughout program
- Demonstrate and role model being playful, engaged, welcoming and inclusive of all visitors
- Make observations, ask open ended questions and pose challenges to extend children’s learning
- As needed: Provide assistance to adults and children, redirect undesirable behaviors and adapt programs for visitors of varying abilities and ages
- Provide regular feedback on naturalist programs using program assessment forms
- Special program preparations: Complete behind-the-scenes tasks as directed such as doing inventory, prepping program supplies, collecting and tabulating program logs, cleaning program spaces/supplies, and putting supplies away
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Minimum of 40 hours working directly with children ages 1-8, preferably in a learning-focused environment (day-camp, pre-school/school, child-care center, after-school, tutoring, or informal learning environment such as a nature center or museum). The successful applicant will possess skills and knowledge related to working effectively with this age group.
- Some post-secondary education in a related subject (education, child psychology, child development, communication, environmental studies, art or music therapy, museum studies, etc.) and an interest in a career related to early childhood, informal learning environments, education, nature centers or families.
- Ability to work well with people in general, and to work effectively and comfortably in a variety of settings - from busy to slow.
- Ability to work weekend shifts.
- Ability to follow directions, work independently and complete tasks and communicate in an effective manner.
- Ability to use feedback on performance to improve effectiveness as a program facilitator.
- Skill in taking initiative to find and complete additional tasks when assigned work is completed.
- Preferable skills/experience: customer service, volunteer experience, leadership roles, experience working/volunteering in family-oriented environments (interacting with adults and children together).
- Intern orientation
- The Ways of Play training (Museum educational roots and visitor interaction skills)
- Assignment specific training
- Optional free training: Wakanheza
Applications accepted until position is filled. Submit cover letter, resume, and online application at https://mcm.clearcompany.com/careers/jobs/7aec8501-7f53-90a2-4c2f-9f183c8530a1/apply?source=697143-CS-23506
- Child Development
- Environmental Education
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 100 hours
- 10-12 per week
- Summer Marketing Video Intern
- Summer Alumni Relations Intern
- Summer Recruitment & Onboarding...
- Summer Museum Educator Intern -...
- Summer Membership & Event...
- Summer Integrated Communications...
- Play Docent
- Summer Museum Experience...
- Studio Assistant - Creative...
- Volunteer to Play!
- Summer Exhibit Fabrication Intern
- Summer Family Learning Intern
- Summer Digital Media Intern
- Summer Museum Educator Intern -...
- Summer Youth Development Intern
- Research Volunteer Pool
- Summer Costume Design& Props...
- Helping Hand Volunteer
- Summer Traveling Exhibit...