This position is primarily responsible for helping to facilitate various activities within the Museum's Studio, a maker-space featuring art + real tools. These activities include but are not limited to: supporting and facilitating visitor experiences with art materials, tools, STEM materials and tactile sensory materials. Other responsibilities include assisting our guest artists during residencies, and working behind the scenes to ensure that program supplies are prepared and well-maintained.
Major Job Accountabilities
This is an estimate of the duties to be included in the internship. The exact duties and projects will be determined by mutual agreement of the intern and museum staff. All duties will be carried out with the direction and supervision of Museum Experience Coordinator.
- Facilitate and/or assist with facilitating Studio activities both on and off-site following Museum best practices and program write-ups.
- Greet visitors and introduce activities. Provide developmentally appropriate interaction with adults and children in order to encourage playful exploration of materials and experiences
- Monitor and maintain Studio materials, and spaces
- Demonstrate and role model being playful, engaged, welcoming and inclusive of all visitors
- Assist our guest artist during artist in residence programs
- Make observations, ask open ended questions and pose challenges to extend children’s learning
- As needed: Provide assistance to adults and children, redirect undesirable behaviors and adapt facilitation strategies for visitors of varying abilities and ages
- Provide regular feedback on the Studio program through processes and tools provided
- Program Preparations: Complete behind-the-scenes tasks as directed such as doing inventory, prepping supplies, collecting and tabulating program logs, washing smocks, cleaning Studio spaces/supplies, and putting supplies away.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Minimum of 40 hours working directly with children ages 1-8, preferably in a learning-focused environment (day-camp, pre-school/school, child-care center, after-school, tutoring, or informal learning environment such as a nature center or museum). The successful applicant will possess skills and knowledge related to working effectively with this age group.
- Some post-secondary education in a related subject (education, child psychology, child development, communication, art or music therapy, a STEM field, museum studies, etc.) and an interest in a career related to early childhood, informal learning environments, education, or families.
- Ability to work well with people in general, and to work effectively and comfortably in a variety of settings - from busy to slow.
- Ability to follow directions, work independently and complete tasks and communicate in an effective manner.
- Ability to use feedback on performance to improve effectiveness as a program facilitator.
- Skill in taking initiative to find and complete additional tasks when assigned work is completed.
- Preferable skills/experience: customer service, volunteer experience, leadership roles, experience working/volunteering in family-oriented environments (interacting with adults and children together).
- Intern orientation
- The Ways of Play training (Museum educational roots and visitor interaction skills)
- Assignment specific training
Applications accepted until position is filled. 4-5 interns needed. Submit cover letter, resume, and online application at https://mcm.clearcompany.com/careers/jobs/77c8eb2d-0041-af16-72a7-5bce8fc7f6e0/apply?source=689270-CS-23506
- Child Development
- Exhibition Arts
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 100 hours
- 10-12 per week
- Summer Marketing Video Intern
- Summer Alumni Relations Intern
- Summer Recruitment & Onboarding...
- Summer Museum Educator Intern -...
- Summer Membership & Event...
- Summer Integrated Communications...
- Play Docent
- Summer Museum Experience...
- Studio Assistant - Creative...
- Volunteer to Play!
- Summer Exhibit Fabrication Intern
- Summer Family Learning Intern
- Summer Digital Media Intern
- Summer Museum Educator Intern -...
- Summer Youth Development Intern
- Research Volunteer Pool
- Summer Costume Design& Props...
- Helping Hand Volunteer
- Summer Traveling Exhibit...