Metropolitan Family Service is pleased to announce the launch of the Benefits Outreach Center. This new service will screen older adults (60+) and people 18 and older with disabilities for services and benefits and then provide assistance with the application process.
We are currently seeking volunteers for several roles in this center. Open opportunities include:
Checkup Specialist: Calling participants of the center to screen for services
Outreach Specialist: Conducting community outreach events and assisting completing applications
Peer Assistant: Helping participants with tasks and overcoming barriers in accessing benefits
Volunteers will conduct outreach for the Benefits Outreach Center and assist Center participants’ access to benefits that will help them save money on groceries, prescription costs, Medicare premiums and co-pays, and their energy bills. Volunteer skills we are seeking include:
- Good written and oral communication
- Comfort working with diverse populations
- Comfortable interacting with older adults and people living with disabilities
- Comfort communicating over the phone or in-person (depending on role)
- Skilled in the basics of computer and internet
- Good attention to detail
- Able to commit to one year of volunteering
We are also seeking volunteers with previous experience engaging culturally specific populations and who are able to communicate in languages in addition to English.
Volunteer work will happen both in our NE 24 th Ave. office and out in the community. Most volunteer hours will be conducted on weekdays during business hours, but some evening and weekend hours may be available.
- Social Work
- Administrative Support
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4-8 hours per week
- Volunteers will attend a training and orientation to become familiar with the benefits and services.