Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
Volunteer Citizenship Instructor
The Immigration Program at Jewish Family Service offers Citizenship and Naturalization Services to lawful permanent residents throughout San Diego County. JFS staff completes and sends the N-400 (application for Citizenship) or N-600 (application for Citizen Certification) and offers classes to assist applicants prepare for the Citizenship Interview, English, and Civics tests.
Goal of Position:
The Volunteer Citizenship Instructor will shadow and assist the current Citizenship Instructor for a limited time and then teach the class on their own or with the help of a Teaching Assistant. The class will help prepare lawful permanent residents for the civics (U.S. history and government) and English (reading, writing, and speaking) components of the naturalization test.
- Gain experience teaching ESL/ESP to adult learners of various abilities
- Equip students with the skills to pass the civics and English portions of the Citizenship Test
- Create meaningful cultural exchange and develop intercultural communication skills
- Shadow and assist the current Citizenship Instructor for a minimum of two weeks
- Prepare for and teach a citizenship class two times per week for one full class cycle (8-10 weeks)
- Develop an individual plan for each student, and monitor and update student’s plans
- Utilize engaging and innovative teaching methods
- Design and produce supplementary materials and adapt existing teaching materials
- Attend Citizenship Education related meetings
- Communicate regularly with Citizenship Instructor and Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator regarding student updates and progress
- Remain up-to-date regarding naturalization application process and USCIS materials
- Assist Citizenship Instructor in completing required reports and maintaining student files
- Seeking or acquired a BA, MA or Certificate in Linguistics/TESOL (preferred)
- At least one year experience working with ESL students or teaching citizenship to adults (preferred)
- Ability to motivate and support students
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Sensitivity to needs of low-income and culturally diverse client population
- Computer literacy
- Flexibility with class schedule; willingness to travel to various locations throughout San Diego county as needed
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Attend a JFS volunteer interview with Immigration Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator and Immigration Attorney
- Attend a JFS orientation with the Immigration Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator
- Must provide own transportation to off-site classes
- Agree to undergo a background check
- Must honor confidentiality of client records and sign privacy & confidentiality agreement
Ideal candidates are able to complete one full citizenship class, which is currently 10 weeks.
Various - Mostly City Heights, National City or El Cajon neighborhoods. JFS Immigration Services Program
8788 Balboa Avenue
San Diego, CA, 92123
- Adult Education
- People Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- Public Speaking
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Group Facilitation
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Food Drive Assistant
- Volunteer ESL Instructor
- Lunch Service Table Captain
- Pro-Bono Legal Services Needed
- Food Drive Volunteer
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- Volunteer Accounting Clerk
- St. Paul's Distribution Volunteer
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Military Distribution Lead
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Cozy Cafe-rista
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Merchandising & Stocking...
- Public Transportation Navigator