Every day, people with low to moderate incomes face increasing rental rates that are out of proportion to wages. Plus, older modest rental properties are being turned into luxury rental units, displacing long-time residents. Demand for rental housing is increasing drastically, and the high cost of constructing new units is creating a growing gap between what subsidy programs can produce and what the market will produce.Each year, CommonBond Communities meets this challenge through building and developing affordable housing to support more than 11,000 people throughout Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Join a Community Advisory Board to lend your financial skills to advance the mission that everyone has a stable home, strong future, and vibrant community.
What to expect in the meeting:
- A Community Advisory Board is a group that meets to review and approve the annual audit of a particular CommonBond property.
- During the meeting CommonBond staff summarize important points from the audit, share notable occurrences in the housing community, and facilitate discussion and questions from the volunteer board.
- The paper audit is sent out at least 2 weeks prior to the meeting for your review.
- Familiarity with business or finance is helpful, but not required.
- Familiarity with Roberts Rules of Order helpful, but not required.
- Each Community Advisory Board meets once a year for about an hour.
- Each meeting occurs on a weekday to be scheduled in spring or early summer (exact dates. determined within a month of the meeting).
- Volunteers commit to being on a board for at least 2 years (2 meetings total).
- Experience serving on a board.
- Playing a role in preserving affordable housing through just a couple annual meetings!
- Financial Auditing
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Volunteers commit to 2 meetings across 2 years.
- Enrollment process includes an application, phone conversation, and background check.